What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What did you do today Detailing related?

A little background story on this car. A good friend of mine went to Ikea to purchase some stuff. He said he misjudged the cement parking poles and went around it too close and side swiped his right rear door and quarter panel. He does not plan on bringing the car into a shop to get it repaired so he asked me if I could do anything. I inspected the paint and told him not to get your hopes up, but I will do my best. Well... I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking for me now...

Car condition on arrival

Started working on half of the door.

*Process:

Harbor freight DA w/ 3" Meg MF pad & Meg 101 compound @ speed 4.5

Knowing this car was bought brand new and no previous signs of respray, the paint had healthy readings ranging from 90-130 microns.

Same section zoomed in. Only left with one scratch that I did not chase.

Now I am left with the left side which have deeper scratches to remove/level

After using the same technique as above, I am left with the deeper marks.

Whole shot of door

Although it is a huge improvement compared to before, I knew there were still room for improvement.

*Process:

Damp sanded with 2500 grit then refined with 3000 grit

After compounding, ended up with this

I took some readings, and made a decision to chase a little bit more with the scratches so I damp sanded again with the same process.

Another round of compounding, and I end up with a result that will pass my standards.

Because of my decision to chase the scratches, I had to sacrifice some clear to reach my goal.

Couple pics of the door all finished up. I still need to refine the paint with polish.

I will upload the rest tomorrow. I'm feeling sleepy....

cmgreensr

Reaction score

Damn Lemon, what would it cost to ship u over here to fix my car up? Lol

juiCyyaccOrd

Reaction score

aquapel all of my windows =)

P1090134.jpg

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Damn Lemon, what would it cost to ship u over here to fix my car up? Lol

Thanks for the compliment bro. :thumbsup:

aquapel all of my windows =)

P1090134.jpg

Great shot! I have not used Aquapel yet, but heard it's a good overall product. Do you know how long it lasts Judy? Do the beads fly off the windows, and starting at what speed does it start sliding off the windows?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Continuation for Part 2 now.....

Starting point for quarter panel. I got a little lucky here because after I looked a little closer it seemed the clear film protected the paint underneath.

Here, I am using a hair dryer to heat up and soften the film prior removing it.

After the film was removed, what do you know.... only a scuff where the dent is at. Pretty lucky IMO here

Afterwards I moved on to the damaged area. I took some readings, and I knew I had to damp sand from the get go. Went with the same process as before 2500, and 3000. Compounded, and ended up removing 3 microns along with the majority of the damage.

A shot of the overall condition of the paint atm. A few scuffs left as expected due to more severe damage in this area.

I was pretty happy with the outcome already compared to how bad it was before, but I wanted to push the results a little bit further, so I sanded a little bit more carefully using 2500 and 3000 grit.

The final results of my fruits and labor. A total of 6 microns were removed to achieve this correction.

The after shots

For those that have made it this far, I appreciate your time viewing my work. Let me know if there are any questions, and feel free to leave a comment. Total hours on this project: 5 hrs.

Last edited:

juiCyyaccOrd

Reaction score

Great shot! I have not used Aquapel yet, but heard it's a good overall product. Do you know how long it lasts Judy? Do the beads fly off the windows, and starting at what speed does it start sliding off the windows?

Awesome product, I would say about 30-50 km/h; even when there's enough water on the windshield, you'll see it slide down, it's pretty cool. I'd say about 3 months and change.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey lemon can you ask for the color code on that car, it looks really close to mine and i need to get a new paint job. thing is the shop that did it last didn't keep any records of paint code. Being that said if you could help me out that would be great thanks

F20Bs don't take prisoners they chop faces off!!

Sorry for the late reply. The color code is 1H2. It's called Dark steel Mica.

Judy, Not bad durability. I might give it a try on my dad's van for experiment.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Washed my car yesterday.

Even new tires need tire dressing. Only use water based to nourish and moisturize the rubber.

It's the small details that always matter. A clean wheel/tire will provide some contrast to the surrounding area.

Last edited:

truWarier02

Reaction score

Great job on your friend's car, Lemon! The before/after was pretty amazing.

What tire shine did you use on your car? I recently bought Poor Boys Bold n Bright and the biggest selling point was that it dries to the touch in minutes and it doesn't sling. Cleaning the sidewalls seem to help the gel stick better as well, which I never did before I tried the Poor Boys gel.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Davis! He treated me to a good dinner, ending with boba. For the tires, I applied one coat of Optimum Opti Bond tire gel. Let it air dry 15 mins so it doesn't sling. It will give the matte look/low shine. Before applying, make sure to use a dedicated tire cleaner or an all purpose cleaner straight to take off the gunk so it will help the tire gel last longer.

Back