Reaction score
just a general tire thread. List down:

1. Tire you had used, along with the pros and cons
2. Tires you are considering and why

For myself, I have used:

1. Nitto 555
2. Toyo Proxes FZ4
3. Falken Ziex 512

Most of these are more economical choices given their longer thread wear and price point. Grip was ok for the most part on both dry and wet.

Next set of tires I will be getting will probably be from the Toyo Proxes line... not sure which one, but looking at the T1R... pretty good grip and decent wear for a UHP (280AA) .. if not, the proxes 4 plus all season tires with double the thread life

dawg316

Reaction score
Nexen 661/662

Budget and i mean budget tire. dose its job. okay in the wetter conditions then the old michlens i had. if need a cheap daily tire for a non preformance car i would recomend due to cheap price point

Falken ziex 912
Budget tire aswell. was happy with the tire. again a good choice for a lower HP car. did good in the rain. which is what i realy care about out here in the rainy coast of canada

Future Tires

yokahoma S drives - herd good reviews
Michelin piolot sports - over hype tire. would like to see what the fuss is about

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Velozza VXZ4

They came with my car when I bought them.

They seem to be a budget performance tire. I am highly impressed with both wet and dry traction. Wet traction could be better on the turns but stopping in the rain it still grips very well.

On the cloverleaf on/off the interstate these tires have no squeal even turning at 50 miles an hour. I feel confident I could throw the car into the turn doing near 60mph. Fastest I have taken a cloverleaf is 55mph and still no under steer.

Road noise is the biggest complaint. They are very loud at highway speeds.

I don't do much performance driving or hard cornering.

My next set will be for some 15" wheels and be all season cheapies. My 6th gen is a beater work car.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
no sticky, no care :lawl:

and yeah, i'm very curious abt the michelin pilot sport/super sport.. seems like some members here swear by them :lawl:

Connie

Reaction score
SUMMER

Yokohama ES100 (discontinued) - The best tires I have ever had on the 6g, excellent grip especially on dry pavement, good in the rain, but god help you if you try and use 'em in the snow. Tread wear rating was only 180 I think, but I still got a good 60k km out of them. Would have bought them again if they hadn't been discontinued.

Yokohama Avid S4 - Bought as a replacement for the ES100s and was utterly disappointed. Way harder than I like for a summer tire. Decent traction in rain and bad weather. Don't use them in the snow; they are another summer-only tire. Had 2 go out of round and develop high spots within 6 months, and another did the same within 12 months....steer clear of these, they have turned me off of Yokohama for good. Garbage.

WINTER

Michelin X-Ice I3 - Pricey, but amazing stud-less snow tires. Great on snow, rain, ice, and cold dry pavement. Even have half-decent performance in hot dry conditions. Drove to Mexico and back twice in the winter with these on and they performed very well, even in off-road conditions.

Barum Polaris - Got a good deal on these and haven't put a lot of miles on them yet; they'll be going on for good this fall. So far they have matched the X-Ices in every way and were a fair bit cheaper, too.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
On my 99 Accord sedan, I'm running 205-55-15 Dunlop DZ 102's. Haven't really put a lot of miles on them, but they've been on the car about 8 months. Haven't seen any abnormal wear or anything. They're a good summer tire and even a good rain tire, but they suck in snow. I got them thru Tire Rack. Shipping was quick on them though.

My wife's car is running 195-65-15 Barum Beauvis on it. A very good all around kinda cheap tire. Very good in snow, and was trying to decide on a set of them or the Michelin Ice, or a set of Blzzaks, for my winter rubber (on steel wheels). That way I'll be good in the snow too. Got them at Discount Tire.

Gradfien

Reaction score
Falken azenis fk453 225/45R17- my first set of summer performance tires. Cost about 115 a piece, and I am impressed.used to have a hard time with traction in first gear and in second when wet. Now I just have to go easy a little when wet in first. On a set of curves between home and work the fastest i could take them was 60. Now I have taken the same curves at 75 and the tires feel like they could do better. They ar also very quiet, but they are still pretty new so they may get noisy as they wear.

Last edited:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Well, rather than get a set of Barums like I had thought about doing, I ended up getting a set of Generals. These are the Altimax Arctic studable tires. I got them thru Tire Rack, and they arrived today. Man, those things look like "off road" tires.:jawdrop: :facepalm: I was looking for something I could run all year round, and these might do the job (my speedo was off with the Dunlop summer tires), and while the car handled ok with them, I think I'm going to put them on a more dedicated summer car instead. Now I've got to order up a set of ROTA wheels for the old tires.:banghead:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
Well, rather than get a set of Barums like I had thought about doing, I ended up getting a set of Generals. These are the Altimax Arctic studable tires. I got them thru Tire Rack, and they arrived today. Man, those things look like "off road" tires.:jawdrop: :facepalm: I was looking for something I could run all year round, and these might do the job (my speedo was off with the Dunlop summer tires), and while the car handled ok with them, I think I'm going to put them on a more dedicated summer car instead. Now I've got to order up a set of ROTA wheels for the old tires.:banghead:

look into the toyo celsius line.. that tire is all season, but has the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol (for harsh winter conditions)

Back