Fuel problem 98 Accord

bluesky1guy

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, and again today, my 98 Accord would crank like crazy but wouldn't start. I sprayed some starter fluid/ether spray into the intake and it sputtered to life.
I think this indicates a problem with the fuel flow. What do you think?
I think there's not a fuel filter that's easy to change. Sounds like I've gotta change the whole pump. What do you know about that?
I'm thinking about dumping some injector cleaner in the tank as a first step. Does that seem reasonable?
Would you suggest anything else?

212K miles
I rarely use the last eighth of the tank of gas.
It burns some oil. I had the timing belt, water pump, and all other belts changed about 6 weeks ago, by a reliable mechanic I've known 30 years.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Last I checked the 2.3l did not have a fuel filter except for the lil one on the pump itself which is more like a stainer if you will and I have never seen those go bad unless you sucked a bunch of trash up from crap gas some where, which is still pretty unlikely around the DFW area.
If you did for some reason change that part out you do not need to replace the whole pump unless you just could not find the strainer filter by itself as the lil strainer just goes onto the pump with a band clamp.
I would not use fuel injector cleaner because for a injector to truly be functional and clean it needs to be ultrasonic cleaned and then flow tested to insure proper atomization of the fuel in the combustion chamber and that runs about 25$ a injector. Which is still cheaper then buying refurbished injectors but you would still need to figure in the cost of new injector seals which is about 5 bucks each for every grommet needed.

If you are really sure you are not getting fuel then I would pull the injectors and test them individually and watch the spray patterns, there is plenty of info out there on how to do this.
That would tell you if you need to send them off for service and flow bench testing and or if you were even having a fuel problem to begin with.

bluesky1guy

Reaction score
The fact that it runs when primed with starter fluid is telling me something. I'm just not sure what.
An intermittent problem, possibly the result of a part slowly failing. I put in Chevron's fuel system cleaner and a fill up. That'll probably get me what I paid for, close to nothing.
I'm thinking a fuel pressure test might reveal weakness in the fuel pump.

Any ideas? I'd be glad to hear.

dawg316

Reaction score
test the fuel pump. your gonna need to get a fuel pressure tester thats able to thread onto the fuel line because hondas dont use a test port like most domestics due.

also if your handy with a volt meter id check and see if the fuel pump is getting voltage to it when the key is on ( would be only for 2 seconds durring the prime) or while cranking.

test first before you go throwing parts at it

bluesky1guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. This has really been a weird one.
It wouldn't start again on Friday. On Monday I put new spark plugs in, they were pretty crusty, buy not oily.
Today I was going to pull the fuel line and test if I got fuel when I cranked the motor, but couldn't get the 14 mm connector bolt off the metal fuel line.
So on a whim I cranked it and it started right up.
I'm not believing I fixed it. Wondering now if it might be that old "Main relay" acting up again. Seems like I had to solder some stuff together about 3 years ago, when it wouldn't work in super hot weather.
Next time it won't start I'll listen for the fuel pump priming.
Old cars, like old people - like me - can be a challenge

dawg316

Reaction score
Main relays easy to check with a test light. Just see if ur getting power ar the pump for the 3 second prine when the key initialy turns on.

if you had to resolder it before most likleu its gonna go bad again. Ive never gotten more than a year on a resolderd main relay.

if it is the relay please get a name brand one. I used cheaper mainrelays that didnt even work out the box witch made diagnosing hard haha. Lesson learned after that

bluesky1guy

Reaction score
I think it's important to close the story.
It's been several weeks and the weather has been all over the place (16 -75 degrees) and no repeat of the problem.
I have to admit the electrodes on the spark plugs were burned down quite a bit. If I was clever I'd have checked the gap and included it with this post.
Bottom line: I guess I fixed it. If it acts up again I'll come back and let you know.

Back