Ways to prolong the life of our AT tranny

Snoobly

Reaction score
My 99 was running strong at 133k. It went into another 6GA after mine.

haha this! except mine was 170,000 i think and still running strong. Shipped it to a guy on the East Coast with a return warranty (that's how confident I was lol).
I'm afraid I never did anything special to prolong the life of my trans.
Everything in this thread seems like good advice, I'd also like to throw out the auto trans cooler. I've heard mixed reviews on those helping the life of our transmissions.

bRaZEn_407

Reaction score
Again there's nothing wrong mechanically with my tranny. It works just at intended. It just sucks.

619rcr

Reaction score
haha this! except mine was 170,000 i think and still running strong. Shipped it to a guy on the East Coast with a return warranty (that's how confident I was lol).
I'm afraid I never did anything special to prolong the life of my trans.
Everything in this thread seems like good advice, I'd also like to throw out the auto trans cooler. I've heard mixed reviews on those helping the life of our transmissions.

Throw out the cooler? :lolhitting: thats probably the worst thing you could do aside from abusing your trans. Keeping it cool is critical.

mo.v6accord

Reaction score
Except a shop told me that I didnt need one, plus with the limited space under the car it would be pointless, not enough airflow. Also you can keep the tranny too cool with a cooler. They said the best way is to keep it the way it is, not flog the **** out of it and warm up, as well as the other steps.

619rcr

Reaction score
Except a shop told me that I didnt need one, plus with the limited space under the car it would be pointless, not enough airflow. Also you can keep the tranny too cool with a cooler. They said the best way is to keep it the way it is, not flog the **** out of it and warm up, as well as the other steps.

Theres a difference between what you are describing and what comes on a AT car from the factory. The radiator has a small section inside for cooling the trans fluid. This is the only thing to cool down the fluid. What you are describing is an aftermarket external cooler that mounts somewhere else, usually in front of the radiator. These supplement the OEM cooler, and are usually added to vehicles that demand more cooling, such as trucks that tow or race vehicles.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Buy an '02? I don't remember where exactly but I remember a big notion about how the AT was only bad 98-01.

I'm @ 125k on my '02 V6. Still shifting like butter.

Case to case basis. My 02' had its rebuilt at 90k
I'm assuming bRaZEn_407 was talking about the FAQs of our tranny on V6P:

"-----------------------------------
Which Accords does it affect and what has Honda done so far to fix the situation?
1998 and 1999 models have no extended warranty
2000 and 2001 models get an extended warranty on it(7yrs/100,000mi)
2002 models have the bearing problem for the transmissions fixed, which supposedly fixes the tranny problem and thus are exempt from the extended warranty

Even though your model may not be covered by the extended warranty, it's possible that Honda can pay for all or a fraction of the cost....
-----------------------------------"

The rest of the FAQs are at:
http://www.v6performance.net/forums...4-honda-accord-v6-av6-transmission-~-faq.html

NGP_UA5

Reaction score
Never use the e-brake and shift from p to d in my my TL and still going strong at 206k. Its all about keeping the fluid fresh.

Back