Preventive Oil Pump Replacement @ 247k, yes or no?

webie

Reaction score
Hi, I have a well maintained 2000 Honda Accord with 247k miles working flawlessly. My next scheduled maintenance is the Timing Belt / Water Pump. Since I already have all the related parts, I contacted to my mechanic to schedule an appointment. He recommended changing the oil pump the same day due to the high millage on the original part. The part cost about $200.00. Is this a good idea due to the high mileage or not really necessary?

Thanks!

chaby_91

Reaction score
Are you having oil pressure issues? There is a warning light in the dash that would indicate so.

To test the oil pressure in your vehicle, remove the oil pressure sensor, located above the oil filter, and test with an oil pressure gauge. Gauge should show 10 psi @ idle and 50 psi @ 3000 rpm

Unless you've neglected the engine and the oil has been low for months or years, the oil pump is the one part that will always be lubricated so I wouldn't worry about it wearing out.

Is it leaking? Then the seal can be replaced

This is honda's service manual for the 6th gen accord. It only goes up to 120k miles but never mentions the oil pump in the maintenance schecule.

Everthing you need to know is in there

http://www.gvrdeu.org/Honda FSM/Accord/1998-2002 Accord FSM/1998-2002 Honda Accord SM.pdf

webie

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response! The car has 247+ miles on it. I'm the original owner and it has been well maintained. All oil changes between 2.8K - 4K at the most. I have never seen the oil pressure light flashing or otherwise on. Also the car has no oil leaks that I'm aware off.

I think he recommended that as a preventive due to the high mileage and since he will be working on the timing belt & seals. I just don't know if it worth changing. After some research, apparently the oil pump is one of those parts that rarely fails.

PS. I did an "Oil Report" on Nov. 2014 at 217,758 miles and the results were: You'll be glad to know that your Honda looks fantastic in oil analysis. You asked if there was anything we could suggest to help you prolong the life of the engine, and there really isn't. It looks like you have been doing all the right things. Universal averages show typical wear for this engine type after about 5,000 miles on the oil. Your metals are nice and low, as we would expect on a shorter run, and there's no contamination or other trouble to talk about. The TBN is fine at 3.5, so if you wanted to run longer on your oil, that should be fine. This interval works well too

Back