DIY Evap Canister Change - P1457

shyste

Reaction score
see i just got this changed at AAA had to pay 441 for this. this was in may of last year. got an oil change , went to the junkyard and the CEL came on. come to find out this code comes up again. i already replaced the vapor canister valve , fuel vapor canister , manifold gasket set. i went to AAA to see if they can look at it and they wanted to charge me 99dollars an hour just to look! crazy!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^That's what I thought too, but that hour is considered a labor hour and if that's their hourly rate, then it makes sense. Not saying that's not high though lol.

I had mine looked at at Tire Discounters, with their fog machine. They said it would be $90. I specifically asked them to let me know if they found a leak to come get me so I could see myself where the leak was. They didn't of course, and said it was coming from a solenoid, which I replaced. Didn't fix the problem. On the bright side they found that "leak" so fast that they didn't have to use much of their gas, so I walked out for free.

shyste

Reaction score
^That's what I thought too, but that hour is considered a labor hour and if that's their hourly rate, then it makes sense. Not saying that's not high though lol.

I had mine looked at at Tire Discounters, with their fog machine. They said it would be $90. I specifically asked them to let me know if they found a leak to come get me so I could see myself where the leak was. They didn't of course, and said it was coming from a solenoid, which I replaced. Didn't fix the problem. On the bright side they found that "leak" so fast that they didn't have to use much of their gas, so I walked out for free.

yea the guy told me that he would charge me half if it didn't take that long

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
I have this code as well and i am ALSO having problems pumping gas. Whenever i pump gas, the gas pump clicks as if my tank is full - prematurely. Meaning my tabk is not full but the gas pump thinks it is.

Clearly this means gas/vapors are being forced back up into the gas pump.

What gives??

hondaluver

Reaction score
I am attempting to remove the canister and valve but the bolt is horribly rusted. The 12 mm socket just spins around the rounded bolt head. I don't think vise grips will access the bolt up on the frame and don't want to hit it with the torch as the fuel vapours are there. Any tips for me to get this unit off the car?

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^If you can't find anything to grab the bolt head with, then you might have to drill it out.

hondaluver

Reaction score
I can get a smaller socket on it now that I have filed the sides a bit but it is frozen solid, even after several rounds of pb blaster. There is really no access to it from the side for grips or anything.

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Great DIY.

Heres a tip if your well it doesn't feel like changing the canister. Remove the canister as shown in the diy, can use a vice grip to grab the head of the Phillips screw turn once you break the seal you should be able to take the screw out with a regular screwdriver.

That works for me I don't see why it shouldn't work for you my car spent the past 18 years and New York City. It's been through it all, snow, hail, rain you name it.

Great DIY

ThatDesiKid

Reaction score
I had this code appear after I reset the CEL when I cleaned out my EGR ports. I noticed that when I'm cruising at 45-50 mph and let off the gas, I get a slight kick. My buddy says that there's an excess amount of air in the system throwing off the air-to-fuel mixture. Will doing this DIY help get rid of the kick, or is it an unrelated problem?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
what your buddy thinks is a problem, isn't, and is alos in no way related to the cel you have. i also feel like that slight kick you feel is probably just in your head. i had this cel for two years and my car never ran different or did anything weird. i've read it could be because of a bad gas cap, or because of what this thread is for. i did the repair that this thread is for and it fixed it for me.

Back