Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > The Garage > Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires

Register to remove these ads

Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Points: 1,361, Level: 10 Points: 1,361, Level: 10 Points: 1,361, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

selttijcmanit is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine bay tucking and re-organizing

I've been trying for a while now to get my engine bay as empty as possible.. Removed the compressor, compressor mount, AC radiator, AC hoses and such, power steering pump, PS reservoir, and PS cooling hardline.. Lots more different things were removed as well, but now I've hit a wall.

I hear mixed feelings about removing the ABS system, not to mention that I've never driven hydraulic brakes without one.. Is it truly dangerous to drive without ABS? Maybe some people slam on the brakes often and that would lead to lockup, but is there any other purpose they serve that I should know about? It really clutters up the engine bay and I'd frickn love to delete it..
Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Points: 3,922, Level: 18 Points: 3,922, Level: 18 Points: 3,922, Level: 18
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Nam1911a1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Engine bay tucking and re-organizing

I haven't had ABS in my last two cars for the past 10 years. I couldn't even lock the tires up on my accord, the tires gripped so hard it just stopped like a MFer.

If you know how to drive ABS is not necessary. It is for people who are dumb drivers.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 AM

Points: 48,661, Level: 68 Points: 48,661, Level: 68 Points: 48,661, Level: 68
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

BlkCurrantKord has their shit togetherBlkCurrantKord has their shit togetherBlkCurrantKord has their shit togetherBlkCurrantKord has their shit together
Send a message via AIM to BlkCurrantKord

My car never had ABS, you'll be fine. I'd put power steering back in though. You can reroute a lot of the engine harness under the intake manifold or around the back of it if you're careful and good with a razor blade to cut the factory tape and tubing.

Can also unplug the pass fuse box and stuff it in the glove box and route the wires through the firewall. There's a ton of little things you can do here and there if you start playing around with moving stuff, stand back and look at it, move a little here, etc.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Points: 3,251, Level: 16 Points: 3,251, Level: 16 Points: 3,251, Level: 16
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Enne is an unknown quantity at this point
Member Photo Albums

I've locked the brakes on my Camaro before. I dunno, I guess practice safe driving techniques for cars without it. Power steering though, not having that would be a PITA lol.

Maybe @Capsidx has some pointers?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 AM
Points: 5,469, Level: 21 Points: 5,469, Level: 21 Points: 5,469, Level: 21

capsidx is somewhat reliable
Member Photo Albums

Donít cut the factory loom unless youíre absolutely sure youíre wiring skills are solid. A proper wire tuck needs the wiring re routed in the fenders and behind the intake. If youíre wiring isnít 100% and your car wonít start youíll Sh1t bricks lol. Iíll give you an idea of whatís involved in the process but my engine bay is like half tucked. My f20b came with a factory harness so I decided to use it and leave it the way it is. For now. The pics are of my old h23 when it was semi tucked in the dirtiest possible way. Thanks for the mention enne

Old 04-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Points: 1,361, Level: 10 Points: 1,361, Level: 10 Points: 1,361, Level: 10

selttijcmanit is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy crap, Capsidx, the shear amount of work to move all those wires... Did you solder the connections and heatshrink, or use connectors?? That looks far better than before but where the guacamole is your battery?!

Seems like it's safe to remove the ABS so I'll go ahead and research the process, and no actually it drives amazing without power steering! The real issue is the pressure buildup when turning manually, you have to loop the two sides together of the rack and pinion so that the fluid can flow from side to side quickly. After that it is insanely easy even when dry steering..
I'll find a way to post pics of my engine bay so you guys can give me ideas, it's mostly empty, but would much rather be just an engine in there lolz
Old 04-25-2018, 02:22 PM

Member Photo Albums

I relocated the battery to the trunk. I didnít like seeing it in the engine bay lol. Like you I just wanted an engine. Plus if I need a jump people can pull up behind me which is awesome, especially on the highway or something lol. It took about three days to do all that wiring but since the car wasnít running at the time it wasnít a big deal. I think the best way to do it is to do it in chunks so you donít have wires everywhere.

Iíd also recommend doing it as fast as possible while itís fresh in your mind so youíre not like hmmm what was this wire for again? Lol. Good luck with the abs delete. Iím one for removing anything on the car I donít want there so will removing that make your car less safe? Well there are plenty of cars on the road without abs that donít slide everywhere when braking. My girlfriends corolla has abs and I swear we have almost gotten into so many accidents because of it.

I also removed my power steering and Iím never going back. I love feeling more connected to my car. Itís the reason I did a manual swap and used innovative black mounts. As far as the wiring goes, would I recommend it? If you go to shows and stuff, yes but other than that I donít see a point. It looked cool when I popped the hood but honestly no one cared. I tell people I have an f20b swap and theyíre like oh thatís cool. Thatís about it lol. And no I didnít solder anything. I literally spliced every wire and taped it. The only thing I shrink tubed was the distributor wires. Everything else was tape. Ainít nobody got time to solder all those wires

Ps no power steering for the win

Old 04-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Points: 3,251, Level: 16 Points: 3,251, Level: 16 Points: 3,251, Level: 16
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Enne is an unknown quantity at this point
Member Photo Albums

My Prelude's engine bay would look so much better without the big stupid power steering line going right over the exhaust manifold lol
Old 04-25-2018, 02:30 PM
purp og

Points: 123,940, Level: 100 Points: 123,940, Level: 100 Points: 123,940, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Sketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to all
Member Photo Albums

Originally Posted by capsidx View Post
Ain’t nobody got time to solder all those wires
people that enjoy reliability do

op, you'd be fine without abs. i loved that both the 6th gen accords i had didn't have abs...i can't stand that crap. i've almost been in more accidents because of abs, than what it has ever saved me from...which has been nothing so far you will have to bend some new brake lines, or buy the oem non-abs lines and hook them up. i would go with the bend new lines option since you want to tuck the bay though, this way you can bend them so that they're hidden and out of the way.

1000RR

HID Kit Club #008 | DSLR Club #077 | G87P

FS: 98-00 OEM Sedan Tail Lights | shipping available

Last edited by Sketch o5; 04-25-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:36 PM

Member Photo Albums

Reliability is for suckers lol. Having an adventure going to wal mart for groceries is where itís at son. That being said I never had any issues with wires as long as theyíre taped well enough and you pay attention to the pins. I made a conversion harness for my f20b and that thing has more paper clips than pins but it works Iíll eventually get a new one but since cleaning up my interior itís been great so far.