Acura RL BBK Upgrade

KnightRyder

Reaction score
well i was having a hell of a time finding a hyper silver powder coat and no other silver correctly matched the finish on my wheels so i decided to get a little wilder with it and decided to attempt to polish the calipers. if i dont like it, i'll get em powdercoated anyways so i gave it a shot...

process:
-120,180,220,400,600,1000,1500,2000 grit sandpaper (i start with a dry pass then do a wet pass on each grit)
-Rubbing Compound
-Polish till my arms fall off

i got a little anxious to see the outcome so i stopped after 1000grit wetsand and i did 1 quick pass of rubbing compound and 2 passes of mag & aluminum polish by hand and came out with this...

flash:
img0001jo.jpg

no flash:
img0006d.jpg

i think if i continue with the 1500 and 2000 grit sanding and switch up to a dremel buffing wheel, i could make these things really pop. im only going to spend all this effort on the front half of the caliper though since nobody's going to see the back half; i'll just sand it smooth to the point of brushed aluminum look and then have both halves powdercoated clear to protect them.

Accord2Show

Reaction score
That looks very nice, can't what to see it dun.

But a few question how are these are different for the BBK like wilwood Rotora and ones like that? Would it be easer to use one that was made for our cars? Are people doing these just because it is a Honda product? Any light you can shed on this retrofit I would appreciate it.

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
That looks very nice, can't what to see it dun.

But a few question how are these are different for the BBK like wilwood Rotora and ones like that? Would it be easer to use one that was made for our cars? Are people doing these just because it is a Honda product? Any light you can shed on this retrofit I would appreciate it.

A full 2 piece rotora kit goes for over 1500+.

This setup runs 700-900 depending on where you source the parts etc.

You can run whatever pads you want without restrictions.

Although these calipers are not brembo, they are still fantastic 4pot setups.

So value and flexibility (options) is why people are going for these over other sets.

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Hey Paul they are Brembo calipers they are stamped Brembo but of course say Acura on the front just like STI, 350Z, 370Z calipers etc

SykVSyx

Reaction score
This is one of my favourite projects to watch on here right now.

So, the 350Z OR 370Z rotors can be used for this build?

Is one preferred over the other?

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
They're not Aisin units? I know I've seen some RL calipers stamped with Aisin....

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Thought the RL's were brembo maybe then the 4pot TL type-s Calipers are brembo then.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Thought the RL's were brembo maybe then the 4pot TL type-s Calipers are brembo then.

"The brakes on the RL are manufactured by Advics Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of Sumitomo Electric Automotive, that designs and manufactures brake systems and components. They have operations in the U.S., Japan, Thailand, Indonesia and China."

I believe the 3G TL-S has the Brembos, that is correct.

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Correct when thinking about it the TL's that are brembo..

Back