V6 Alternator Upgrade DIY W/ pics

jayycobb

Reaction score
sorry to thread bump. but is there a technique for getting the belt on the new alternator? I bought a new belt for it along with a brand new alternator, and its not stretching enough.

Use a longer wrench to give you more leverage. Unless you have the wrong belt, that should do the trick.

eksine

Reaction score
I did this with the paid help of someone I know. FYI you do not need to take the fan off. we did it ot by taking off the black plastic timing cover off I think. great tutorial I was able to do the wire extension myself cause I can solder but the rest I let the other guy do. I got the alt from ebay for 88 plus like 15 shipping, rebuilt. it has the shiny greenish yellowish pulley on it, the rebuilt one that has the black pulley is unreliable so be careful which rebuilt one you buy

eksine

Reaction score
i believe it was a duralast ultra or something and my dad said that the female connection would match up or something. im pretty bumped about it :( He ended up taking it back to autozone and getting an OEM one :(

duralast is an autozone brand, you didn't even pay attention to the tutorial. you need to buy the real honda oddyysey alternator. made by honda or a rebuilt one from a used honda alternator, it will say it in the description. you basically overlooked the whole key to this project, autozone's duralast is garbage, thats why is didnt say denso

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
this is all plug and play right? no modification needed?

Almost. The only modification you may need is to extend the harness for the plug in order to reach the connector on the Denso alternator.

It may be possible to pull slack out of the harness and have it reach the connector, which is in a different location on the Denso Alternator.

I got mine from Ebay for $85 shipped. Works great. Had it 2 years with no issues.

** Make sure you get HONDA OEM DENSO - used or new. If you are looking at a rebuilt, make sure they rebuilt ALL of the components inside. And I mean ALL of them. some places just replace certain components and call it "rebuilt". But, I will tell you rebuilding a Alternator can cost almost as much as a NEW one.

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score
Almost. The only modification you may need is to extend the harness for the plug in order to reach the connector on the Denso alternator.

It may be possible to pull slack out of the harness and have it reach the connector, which is in a different location on the Denso Alternator.

I got mine from Ebay for $85 shipped. Works great. Had it 2 years with no issues.

** Make sure you get HONDA OEM DENSO - used or new. If you are looking at a rebuilt, make sure they rebuilt ALL of the components inside. And I mean ALL of them. some places just replace certain components and call it "rebuilt". But, I will tell you rebuilding a Alternator can cost almost as much as a NEW one.

How would I extend the harness?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Splice n dice. I've read some people had to extend the harness, some didn't.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
I am currently trying to upgrade mine to the Odyssey one.

I'm trying to get the best idea of extending the harness or, get a longer harness.

Would it be a good idea to get the Odyssey's harness for it?
Do you think it will be longer than 6GA V6's?
If so, what would be the part#?

I'm trying to figure out which harness is for the alternator but I'm not sure of which one to choose from this diagram.
 ↓
 ↓
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...cal-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/wire-harness-scat

If someone can help me out on this, that'll be sweet. Hopefully I can place an order soon before mine goes really bad..

Pardie

Reaction score
I think number 1. I didn't think it would be that expensive! You would be much better off making your own and splicing into your harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back