30 mph over the speed limit

9450erick

Reaction score
Yes i know that seems excessive but here is my story.
I go to school in northern california, but i live in Socal. i take the 5 freeway straight down to get to my house and usually the flow of traffic is about 80mph for most of the trip. well all is fine and dandy until i hit the grapevine!(if you dont know what the grapevine is, its a big a** mountain i think it reaches 4,000 ft) Making it up the grapevine eats almost all the little gas i have left, so @ the top of the grapevine my fuel marks E but now its time to descend. so im like okay its downhill why not put it in neutral(MT tranny) and coast my way down so i dont waist that much fuel. so i put it in neutral and i average about 70-80mph just on gravity alone. the flow of traffic is maybe @ 70. im like thats fine im not going extremely faster than everyone else, however the posted speed limit is 55mph. next thing i see is flashing lights. i pull over and he writes me the ticket. he tells me he was gonna get someone else but that i flew by car. in my head im like my engine wasnt even running lol
well he wrote up, i was doing 85 on a 55. my question is what kind of ticket am i looking @ here? price range? do i have to go to court? traffic school?
this is my 1st offense so idk much thanx guys

EscoStylez

Reaction score
Florida is $50 for every 2 mile ur over so 10miles would be $225 x 3=$675 but that's Florida...good luck on that ticket should say.....

dtraill27

Reaction score
It's going to be costly and probably 6 points. From what I understand CHP is not easy to deal with but maybe traffic school.

By the way you waste more gas in neutral than leaving it in gear and coasting. If you leave it in gear the forward momentum keeps the car moving and you use no gas. If you put it in neutral the car burns gas as if it was sitting in your driveway running.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Sucks about the ticket but hey at least it's a ticket.. Where I'm from, 30 over is considered felonious speeding and results in immediate arrest and jail with your car being impounded - unless the cop is somewhat nice.

JordanFleenor

Reaction score
Either the ticket will be between $200-$300 or go to driving school. It's your best option. You take no points and you don't have to pay. Good luck though man!

talontsiawd

Reaction score
First, that sucks he pulled you over, I am sure someone was going way faster than you were right there. It is not close to being safe not being 15 or more over.

I don't have much advice as I have only had one speeding ticket and that was 13 years ago lol. I know that how fast I was going didn't matter then, I got a $85 ticket or something for 20 over (in a 35) and everyone in my traffic school class who was speeding at a much more sane level were getting tickets in the $100-150 range. Before anyone says anything about my speeding, it was my only ticket and again, 13 years ago...I have learned.

Back