My J32A2/6MT -> 2001 V6 Accord Swap Thread

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
That shifter boot over the automatic one looks like a loooong shifter from 90's civic ef. I'd like a 6speed swap in my accord. Always wondered why they didn't make manual 6th gen v6

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Always wondered why they didn't make manual 6th gen v6

Because it would have been in competition with the Prelude/NSX and CL. That wasn't the thinking for the market for the CG.

Honda didn't want that, for some reason. They would have sold ALOT more Accords if there was a manual version of the V6 CG.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Progress is always a good thing.
So, you'll let me know when is a good time?

Right now, I am looking at March 14th, should have enough daylight at that point after work :)

That shifter boot over the automatic one looks like a loooong shifter from 90's civic ef. I'd like a 6speed swap in my accord. Always wondered why they didn't make manual 6th gen v6

Oh don't worry, it will be shorter by the time she's finished :driver:

Was the donor cl wrecked? If not, I feel sorry for that car. Only 3000 were made in manual and not many left. I bought my 03cls6 new in 2002.
I would rather use a cl shell over an accord shell.

Personally, I prefer the leaner, straighter lines of the Accord over the rounder and more bloated lines of the CL (300 lbs heavier), but that's just personal taste. The interior of the CL is vastly better than the Accord, that's pretty much unanimous :)

Because it would have been in competition with the Prelude/NSX and CL. That wasn't the thinking for the market for the CG.
Honda didn't want that, for some reason.

Yup, I think it's also because Honda didn't envision/market the 6th Gen Accord coupe as a sports car, which is why it received inferior wheels/suspension/brakes/engine compared to the CL.

They would have sold ALOT more Accords if there was a manual version of the V6 CG.

That would be my thinking as well, but for some reason when you look through used 7th and 8th Gen accords, there are surprisingly few V6 manual transmission combinations ???

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
^everyone shoots for CL swap, it's got more power than 7th or 8th gen, but wouldn't mind a newer gen accord MT swap, it has more hp than ours

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 5

The engine and shifter cables have been removed from the 03 CL-S donor car. The 200,000 km engine is available for sale if anybody's interested . PM for offer/price.

The 61,000 km J32A2 donor engine has also been serviced with new seals, gaskets, timing and drive belts, thermostat, spark plugs, and coolant/radiator hoses. The flywheel is getting resurfaced next week.

And ... the CL-S calipers are getting painted BLACK, thanks again for your input.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 6

J32A2 Engine and 6MT tranny are bolted, everything is sitting nice and tight. Next up, spacers coming in to drop the subframe and connecting the shift linkage.

Apologies for these text only updates, will be dropping by the shop next week to take some pics.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 7

Some pics for you guys taken from the shops Facebook website ...

1795705_663164980395742_1209351630_n.jpg

Donor in foreground, recipient in background

1922454_673139732731600_1608932691_n.jpg

I've been waiting a long time for this ...

Styx2015

Reaction score
Currently working on my J32 / 6 speed swap as well, but mine is coming off a wrecked CL-S. Quick question: Are the subframe spacers required for the engine to fit nicely? If so, what kind and how big did you go with?

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently working on my J32 / 6 speed swap as well, but mine is coming off a wrecked CL-S. Quick question: Are the subframe spacers required for the engine to fit nicely? If so, what kind and how big did you go with?

You need the subframe spacers in order for the hood to close, as the J32A2 is a taller motor than the J30A1 it replaces. You need to go at least 5/8" ... but I think I'm going to go a full inch in case I'd like to change the intake manifold in the future.

Back