DIY: Ignition Switch replacement (Recall number 02-031)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The culprit. Sniffed that solder point, definitely what I was smelling last night.

temporary_zpse3b0e00f.jpg

I have to cut into the black wire w/white stripe to splice in an additional wire due to my swap, previously it was soldered into it, but I've never soldered and need the car for work tomorrow I'm just going to strip more off the additional wire and wrap it around the ignition wire a few times and use electrical tape. It's on the harness plug end that goes into the back of the fuse box, so that will make it easier to clean up later if I find a connector or something.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
I used the 305 and it works fine. Mine had the recall replacement done, so I went by the information I found and then posted (post #25). I don't think model/trim has anything to do with it as I'm pretty sure all our cars came from the factory with the A01 switch.

Mine seemed to cut out more when it was hot outside (I think others said this also). It would not do it for weeks at a time and it always started even though 2 times it had to crank a while.

For just $50 it was a great investment into reliability; I assume it would have eventually left me stranded.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Hmm not sure about the part numbers. But the car started right up, we'll see how long this one lasts.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I used the 305 and it works fine. Mine had the recall replacement done, so I went by the information I found and then posted (post #25). I don't think model/trim has anything to do with it as I'm pretty sure all our cars came from the factory with the A01 switch.

Mine seemed to cut out more when it was hot outside (I think others said this also). It would not do it for weeks at a time and it always started even though 2 times it had to crank a while.

For just $50 it was a great investment into reliability; I assume it would have eventually left me stranded.

That was mine as well. Wouldn't start if it got even a bit hot. Died on me on the highway, twice, and on my hill when it was raining.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^I don't know if you recall, but shortly before we parted ways last night I slowed down a lot, then sped up again. It was because of this.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
^I don't know if you recall, but shortly before we parted ways last night I slowed down a lot, then sped up again. It was because of this.

I did see that you got out of your car at Cracker Barrel after Daniel and I left the parking lot. We creeped out of there and onto the highway, waiting. Then we saw you come up. So did it die on you there too?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Oh after Cracker Barrel I was just folding my passenger mirror back out. It's when I caught up to you guys and I was in front of you, that the car shut off for longer and I lost a lot of speed and you caught me up quickly. Then it kicked back on and I sped up again. And prior to Cracker Barrel my needles shot down and back up twice.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
^Oh after Cracker Barrel I was just folding my passenger mirror back out. It's when I caught up to you guys and I was in front of you, that the car shut off for longer and I lost a lot of speed and you caught me up quickly. Then it kicked back on and I sped up again. And prior to Cracker Barrel my needles shot down and back up twice.

Oh, I remember this. I was driving, and I caught up fast. And I didn't see any brake lights or anything. Coming out of Nashville, correct?

Pyroman408

Reaction score
Thanks for this write up i just replaced mine. The black shroud had one screw on the top right behind the steering wheel. I saw you had difficulty with that too. I just didnt want to break mine off so i felt around and took an extra 15 minutes with a tiny mirror to figure it out. The screw driver was a really tight fit so i didnt bother putting the screw back in. But your write up was very helpful for me

98 ex auto cai +fresh ignition switch

Varnell

Reaction score
Great write up. Just did this today. My car had this issue when I first bought it and I had been putting it off until it died three times in the same day; once on in the fast lane, once on an entrance ramp, and once of a backroad with a car behind me.

Took fifteen minutes (ten to let the battery discharge) and just five for the rest since I've yet to put my dash back together since finishing the J32 wiring. lol

Back