Transmission cooler DIY installation Four cylinder F23A

dustint209

Reaction score
i made sure to add your DIY since i used your idea. i took your idea of welding a bracket. smart! my pops knows how to weld so it worked out good for me.

oh, snap. I didn't see the link to my diy the first time i read your post, ma bad. I didn't weld the bracket, I just bolted it on. But welding is just as good, if not better.

itsallgsho

Reaction score
Oh n00b question, but where would I check the level of the trans fluid? and how do I add more? I spilled a little bit of fluid while switching the hose (and leaving the gold tube to the right/loosened) but just being cautious. Thnx.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Oh n00b question, but where would I check the level of the trans fluid? and how do I add more? I spilled a little bit of fluid while switching the hose (and leaving the gold tube to the right/loosened) but just being cautious. Thnx.

lol, its to the left hand side facing the front of the car next to the two solenoids. it's yellow. run the car, drive it. let it sit for 2 minutes. pull dip stick, check level. it's suppose to cover all the little grooves. if not, add more to hole where the dip stick is. make an estimate of how much you lost. don't add too much! look at the second picture on my DIY at the top. it's to the left with a yellow head.

don't feel so bad about it taking you 3 hours. it took me 3 hours today helping jwong install his tranny cooler. those hoses are a ***** to take off and put on. but you can ask him yourself. he was amazed on how smooth the car shifted after we installed the cooler. im telling you people, you wont regret it.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Just got back from orlando. It drove like a champ non stop 90mph for 3 hours lol. Both ways. Too bad my scangauge doesn't read the tranny oil temperature. My water tempature was at 195 the whole way so that's good. Glad the rest of you guys got it on with no problems. Yea those damn hoses are a pain to put on. They were easy to take off tho. Taking off the bumper is a 5 minute job, 10 tops. Makes mounting the kit much easier specially when putting on the hoses. When i put on the hoses i lubed them up good with tranny oil inside and on the metal tube. Then got some vice grips and did a twsting motion and pushing it in at the same time, with my other hand pushed the back of the hose. It was hard but did its job. Should put a shirt over it lol cuz lil teeth marks stayed on there lol. Its ok tho no harm done.

Last edited:

jwong512

Reaction score
Been driving around with the tranny cooler that RedlineVtec helped me install for about a good 2 days now. Took it on the SD cruise and drove home as well. So far it's holding up extremely well. You can barely feel the tranny shifting and I'm sure I prolonged the life of my tranny a lot longer :).

TUBHMOOBVAJ

Reaction score
Hm, now I really want to have this installed on my car. Anyone in the MN area want to help out? I'll pay for parts and labor. :D

Btw, I just swapped in a used 115k tranny onto my car. Original tranny had 141k and the differential bearings was messed. Need to extend the life of this 2nd tranny.

TUBHMOOBVAJ

Reaction score
damn 115k? lol How is that running

Yeah the miliage is a bit high. It came off a 2000 Accord from the junk yard. It was tested and work fine. I had the option of rebuilding mine for $1800 or paying $850 for the used transmission and $300 for labor (I know the mechanic pretty well; discount). I didn't want to have it rebuilt because some of these transmission shops are bit cricket, they only replace the messed up component in the tranny and explain to you like they replace everything or anything else that needed replacement. My mechanic replace all the seals and drain and added new fluid. The torque is restored again and the tranny shifts smoothly.

Also my mechanic allowed me to bring my messed up tranny home. I plan to ebay it soon.

Back