White smoke/steam coming out from under hood.

Emphasis

Reaction score
Vehicle is a 2000 Honda Accord 4cyl, 143k miles.

Last time I drove my car I had white smoke/steam coming out from under the hood. I pulled over and turned the car off, and saw I had a crack in my upper radiator hose. Replacing the hose is obvious, although I'd like to know could anything else have contributed to this situation.

Adding more notes; that day the car was making a pinging/jingling-like noise upon acceleration, seemingly coming from the engine area. No warning lights or overheat indication coming from dashboard and gauge at any time that day.

I also recently spotted a small oil leak from under the car and the dipstick was around the low mark. I added oil accordingly when I noticed this.
__

My car hasn't been driven since these events (2 days ago). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
As far as the steam goes, you should be fine. The pinging noise could be a whole mess of stuff, I wouldn't really be able to tell you anything without more information, and do you have any idea where the leak is coming from ? It could be something as simple as your oil pan drain bolt is loose ..

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Lol, tell me why i had the same exact problem as the first two?

Jack the car or find a way to get under the car, hit/shake your cat converter with your hands enough to move it. If it rattles, then you have something broken in there.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Mmmm .. when I had a busted cat, it was more like a rattling .. Worth a try tho :)

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
I would change ALL your coolant hoses while you are at it. They don't last forever.

Pinging could be just that - pinging from an overheated engine

001Stunna

Reaction score
Common sense would say to change the upper hose and check/change the lower hoser. Aside from that there is also an inlet/outlet hose to the heater core and a coolant hose that runs through the back of the engine to the waterpump. After checking/replacing any necessary hoses...BLEED THE COOLING SYSTEM and make sure no air is in it.

As for your oil leak you'll have to go hunting where its leaking from.
Common places are
-distributor inner/outer seal
-oil seals behind the timing belt cover
-oil dipstick tube o-ring
-oil pressure switch(behind engine, above oil filter)
-untightened/double gasket oil filter
-head cover gasket
-oil pan gasket
-main seal(between engine and tranny...pray its not this)

I hope you didnt drive with the car smoking and didnt overheat your engine.

Emphasis

Reaction score
Common sense would say to change the upper hose and check/change the lower hoser. Aside from that there is also an inlet/outlet hose to the heater core and a coolant hose that runs through the back of the engine to the waterpump. After checking/replacing any necessary hoses...BLEED THE COOLING SYSTEM and make sure no air is in it.

As for your oil leak you'll have to go hunting where its leaking from.
Common places are
-distributor inner/outer seal
-oil seals behind the timing belt cover
-oil dipstick tube o-ring
-oil pressure switch(behind engine, above oil filter)
-untightened/double gasket oil filter
-head cover gasket
-oil pan gasket
-main seal(between engine and tranny...pray its not this)

I hope you didnt drive with the car smoking and didnt overheat your engine.

Which parts are you referencing in the following diagrams pertaining to the heater inlet/outlet hose, and hose leading into the water pump?

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-catalog/honda/accord/2000/4dr-lx-ul-abs/kl4at/engine/water-pump-sensor

index.php

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-catalog/honda/accord/2000/4dr-lx-ul-abs/kl4at/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel/heater-unit

index.php

--

Maybe I'm completely overlooking it; but I can't seem to find the hoses in the diagrams. Car's been parked until I gather the parts and take care of the aforementioned problems.

001Stunna

Reaction score
coolanttobackandwaterpu.jpg
heatercorecoolanthoses.jpg

Grab the hoses of RockAuto(upper/lower rad, inlet/outlet heater core) when you find which one is leaking or if you want to do all of them. Much cheaper than Honda dealers. If you buy them all the same brand they all usually ship from same warehouse so save on shipping to. The only one you have to get from honda(if its leaking) is the one that runs behind the engine. You will see that honda offers 2 kinds. Get the more expensive one as its metal. The cheaper one is rubber.

There is also some smaller coolant hoses that run to the throttle body, one right beside the egr valve etc but personally i've never seen them leak.

Last edited:
Back