Ground Control Sleeve HELP

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
I bought a set of GC sleeves from a member on here, i was excited and rushed so the result is my fault.

the spring rates are 380 and 275, thats pretty soft for our cars right?

but i was gonna try them out anyway, i started with the rears and when i slide the sleeve over my illuminas, this is what it looked like:

there is a gap of a quarter of an inch around the shock body and the sleeve.

when i contacted him about this, he said he wrapped tape around the shock body to take up the space, like this. this seems like a large amount of space to take up with tape.

the inner diameter of the sleeve is 2in and the other pair is slightly more, around 2 and a 16th of an inch in diameter.

i know when you buy them new from ground control, they come with a kit that has rubber o-rings that you put on the shock body to keep the sleeve from rotating. GC sell these but they dont list dimensions. from looking at lowes and other stores and looking online, an 0-ring with 1/4 of an inch in thickness is, i wouldnt say unheard of, but i coulding find any.

any thoughts or suggestions?
any idea what kinda of car these fit on?

here are some pictures of them:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
380/275 works out to about 6.8k/5k. Stiffer than OEM obviously, but definitely on the softer side for coilover sleeve springs.

Perhaps you have the kit for the Koni's, GC sells separate kits for Koni and Tokico/others. What is the diameter of the Tokico shock body? Makes no sense that someone would try to fill that much of a void with tape or an o-ring. I'd either get the shocks that go with them, or sell them and get the correct kit for your shocks.

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
the shock body of the stock shocks (the only ones i measured as i had already reassembled the rear of the car) was 1.5inch for the rear and a little bit more, im guessing an inch and 5/8ths for the front. im assuming the illuminas are the same as stock.

i know GC has a kit for stock/tokico/kyb and another one for the konis. I dont know what size the shock body is on the konis though. i really just wanna get these out of my hands and would love to know what they fit so i can sell them better so this doesnt happen to someone else.

i honestly think they are for a different car altogether. i think the koni version has a lip and the sleeve is machined to fit that lip. mine doesnt have that.

im thinking these are for civics but i really have no way of knowing other than to get shock body dimensions or test fit them :(

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yeah the Koni version has an inside lip around 3/8” from one end, and that end is slid onto the shock body first and the lip sits on the snap ring. So if the sleeves don’t have the lip as you said, then they definitely aren’t the Koni kit. And if they’re way too big for your Tokico’s, then they’re not for that either. Which leads me to believe and agree with you that these just may be for another shock/car entirely.

I can measure the diameter of the Koni shock body if that’s of any value to you.

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
i appreciate that but they dont have the lip so im not even worried about them fitting the konis.
thanks for the help man. im gonna be logging lots of time now on other forums seeing if i can find anything with dimensions or someone who can get me measurements.

if you know of anyone who might be able to help me out, let me know

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You could always call GC and tell them you’re trying to figure out what kit you have. Perhaps telling them the dimensions of the various parts in your possession, they might at least be able to narrow it down. Too bad the seller had bad information.

Good luck.

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
first thing i did was call ground control and asked if i gave him the dimensions of what i have, is there any way of him telling me what car its for and was immediately told "there is no way of telling what car they were made for. theres just no way" which i thought was completely bogus to be honest but he was adamant that there was no way to finding out.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
This doesn't even look like the correct collar for the Accord shocks.

If I were you i'd contact the seller who you bought from and get a refund. **** wasn't even made for the Accord.

Default rates for the Accord was 8kg front/6kg rear. Most likely those were for a smaller car like a Civic/Integra/Miata/etc.

EDIT:Chris, this isn't for the Koni aswell, My spinning collar looked way different from this and it looks a little to wide

Back