Front end help

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I'm trying to bust the nuts off my front end links but ball joint is spinning with the nut. I have a 18 volt Milwaulkee 1/2" impact and it just spins.

I'm going to replace the front upper control arms, tie rods, and endlinks.

Any tips or tricks?

ThatDesiKid

Reaction score
Best advice is to cut them off and replace them with Moog endlinks. Makes it easier to take the endlinks off the next time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
sawzall. the end of the bolt has a spot for an allen key so you can hold it still while you manually loosen the nut, but like any 6th gen, yours are probably rusted to hell and won't cooperate anyhow. the best bet is to cut them.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I just used a Metabo blade in my 4 1/2" grinder and sliced them off. It was a quick job to swap them out. The bushings took longer though. I think I swapped everything out in an hour and a half.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Well my front right upper ball joint has stripped threads. I guess the jack hole who did the front end work before way over tightened the nut and partially stripped it because when I went to tighten it down to 40ft lbs it just spun out and the inside of the nut was smooth as glass.

Guess I'll have to drop 140 bucks on a front end kit off eBay. New upper control arms with ball joints. Tie rods and end links. I need new tie rods badly anyways.

So where are you cutting the end links at? Right behind the nut?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's how to do it, pop that plastic end cap off, get a pair of vice grips and clamp it on the ball that sticks out, hold on and hit the nut with your impact.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Wow am I an idiot. I looked closer and the bolts for the end links had Allen keys in them. The end links came off easy. The bottom one had to clamp onto the ball.

Finished up the passenger side upper control arm, end link, and outer tie rod. Got it all back together and *******g realized I had lost the key for my lug nutz. The idiot before me had two different types of lug nut keys. So now I still need to finish the driver side but I can't get the wheel off yet.

FML in so many ways.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Got the passenger side tie rod on and was torquing down the nut to the knuckle and the F'ing threads started to strip. Fml. Contacted the eBay seller.

dawg316

Reaction score
thats what happens when you buy off ebay.

moog ones are cheap AF and solid. get those instead.

Back