-=[ Just a Quick One ]=-

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Hey I searched but could not find the exact answer. I'm retitning my tails and applied a 3rd layer of clearcoat, after wetsanding each layer of both tint and clearcoat previously. To get the glossy smooth finish without the shtty clearcoat look on the final coat, what do I have to do? Apply polishing compound to it?

If so, is there a certain wait time for it to cure, or should I just wait a few hours.. the clearcoat dries really really fast. Thanks!

EDIT: Project Finished

Ok, so I decided to clearcoat it one last time, and apply TurtleWax polishing/rubbing compound to the Pactra tint. I think DarkSideAccord suggested this to me in the shoutbox. I was very satisfied with the result, as it came out nice and smooth, and even a little shiny. I proceeded to completely gloss it up with Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax. This resulted in brilliant shine and created just the look I was seeking for in the tints. Now it looks like I have factory tinted tails, with no drips and thorough even tint. :thumbsup:

img2070fk8.jpg

img2074qk0.jpg

img2073jz6.jpg

Last edited:

HomerJay

Reaction score
It looks like the tint is real uniform. I tried using Testor's tint on my emblems and had no success getting a uniform finish. It didn't seem like normal spray paint (much thinner, almost like it was diluted with solvent) and it certainly didn't go on as smooth.

Was the Pactra easy to work with? It looks like you were able to get a nice, uniform finish. I was thinking of doing this but after working with the Testor's tint, I decided not to...after seeing your pictures, I'm reconsidering...:)

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
It looks like the tint is real uniform. I tried using Testor's tint on my emblems and had no success getting a uniform finish. It didn't seem like normal spray paint (much thinner, almost like it was diluted with solvent) and it certainly didn't go on as smooth.

Was the Pactra easy to work with? It looks like you were able to get a nice, uniform finish. I was thinking of doing this but after working with the Testor's tint, I decided not to...after seeing your pictures, I'm reconsidering...:)

The first time I tined them (the reason I had to retint), I used VHT Niteshades tint, and was displeased with it. Given I was a noob at this stuff, the tint dripped and you could see spray marks everywhere. With the pactra it was very easy to tint (maybe because I got more experience). When you do it, find the angle of the spray nozzle, my nozzle was vertical so I sprayed evenly from left side, to right side, and vice versa. Take your time, and also stay 1-1.5 feet away with the can! Perhaps the pactra is thinner, like you said the testors was, but apply light coats and take your time. Remember, you can always spray more on, but you can't take it off if you blot it (or mess up otherwise) unless you redo the whole light!

My process:
1) I applied 2-3 coats of Pactra, let it dry.
2) Wetsanded lightly! If you need to know how, search "wetsand" and you should find my answer, or see below since I'm nice.
3) Applied another final coat of tint to match darkness of all lights. Let dry thoroughly.
4) Wetsanded a final time.
5) Applied 2-3 coats of clearcoat, 10 minutes drying time between each and no wetsanding in between.
6) After thorough drying, in about an hour and a half, I took rubbing compound to the lights, smoothing the clearcoat out totally, so it looks real smooth, without the micro-ripples.
7) After serious rub-compounding, I applied wax as mentioned above.

Tint:
Pactra tint, which can be found here: http://www.ehobbies.com/pac294.html
When you order it, remember to order 2 cans of it! One will not be enough! I got them both for $12 shipped, as opposed to VHT Niteshades which costs around $21 shipped (that's what I used the first time and don't recommend it to anyone just because of the price).

Wetsanding:
1) Use P600 or higher grit wetsand paper; usually comes in black color from an auto store.
2) For best results wetsand with light pressure, do not press down really hard or you will get uneven sanded spots, just streak the paper over the area.
3) For best results sand under fluid running water, not a strong rush, but a low pressure faucet or hose will do. If you cannot do this, then get a bucket of water and dip the paper in it to make it wet and make sure your sanding surface is always plenty wet.
4) Wipe off with towel, or wash with water then wipe.

I was hesitant about doing it at first, but as long as your primer/paint/clearcoat or whatever you apply previously is thoroughly dry, then you should be all set. For me, now that I have learned, it is even very fun to wetsand because it results in an amazing finish! Hope this helps!

Link to closeup of my tails for texture view:
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12674

I hope this helps. When I did it I couldn't find the answer to some things I needed, so some of the stuff I has to figure out and test.

If you find this useful, plz rep :thumbsup:

Back