camera raw color issues

kn0x47

Reaction score
i'm tired of my pictures getting dulled out by photoshop's Camera Raw. Reds and yellows seem more dull compared to the original file and the reds are more orange. i know that sounds like my color working space is off but my camera, computer, photoshop, and camera are are all set to sRGB.

I did some searching and the only conclusion I found is cause of limitations of Camera Raw. So, my question is what do you guys do to deal with this? Is there better software to use to edit raw files? cause some things are easier to edit in raw format then jpg.

here's an example.
all three pictures are the same RAW(nef) file
Top left is Camera Raw, right is irfanview, and bottom is Microsoft raw image viewer
5305839624_8a529e445b_o.jpg

:sad:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I do see the differences you are talking about, though I'm sorry I won't be much help.. I don't know much about image editing, or Photoshop. I need a serious lesson myself.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
Try raw in Photoshop. This will tell you if it's the other softwares limitations or settings. I would think it is just setup with a setting like auto adjust or something that needs adjustment.

ejreams

Reaction score
Have you tried lightroom?
I've heard that it is better for editing raw, I don't really have any experience with this, just hearsay.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
turn up the vibrance or saturation sliders in camera raw :lawl:

i actually prefer the hue of the photoshop image. bump the exposure up just a tad so the red part of the histogram is barely clipped off the right side and see what that does for you.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
turn up the vibrance or saturation sliders in camera raw :lawl:

i actually prefer the hue of the photoshop image. bump the exposure up just a tad so the red part of the histogram is barely clipped off the right side and see what that does for you.

I agree, the PS version looks more natural

nsjames

Reaction score
you might try Gimp, the windows version works OK, linux is way better.

If you're really comfortable in PS download the gimpshop skin and it will put all the tools in places you're used to.
Edit: I forgot, to get true raw support you'll need UFRaw installed. it's a plugin, no sweat, might want to make sure it works with the Windows version though before you go through the trouble of installing.

turbo_911

Reaction score
I've heard that it is better for editing raw, I don't really have any experience with this, just hearsay.

Indeed, Lightroom 3 is awesome for beginners and is a lot easier to use and I know a lot of pro photographers use it.

Photoshop is made for lots of tweaking and extreme makeover of a picture.

Also, photoshop suppose to show the same image how it looks in your camera. Did you download plug-in for your specific camera raw format?

kn0x47

Reaction score
Try raw in Photoshop. This will tell you if it's the other softwares limitations or settings. I would think it is just setup with a setting like auto adjust or something that needs adjustment.
Camera Raw is photoshop. it's what loads whenever i open an .nef file. I messed with the saturation of the RGB sliders in the ACR 4.6 profile which helps but reds seem too orange. i can adjust the hue but it either becomes more pink or more orange

I've never used lightroom but I've thought about switching over. Anyone on here use lightroom to edit raw files? do you notice these differences?

Also, photoshop suppose to show the same image how it looks in your camera. Did you download plug-in for your specific camera raw format?
4.6 is the update that does support the D90. that's the newest version of camera raw that's supported by CS3. my computers are too old to run CS5 which has a nicer version of camera raw

For the car pictures, the red actually is more accurate and the pictures look deeper and have more detail. But for portraits, skin looks grayer and bland. like i said to dizdale, i can make adjustments that help a lot and can make portraits look even better but its just annoying to have to do that to make it look like the original file. plus reds are too orange for me

you might try Gimp, the windows version works OK, linux is way better.

If you're really comfortable in PS download the gimpshop skin and it will put all the tools in places you're used to.
Edit: I forgot, to get true raw support you'll need UFRaw installed. it's a plugin, no sweat, might want to make sure it works with the Windows version though before you go through the trouble of installing.
thanks for the info. i have ubuntu but the wifi would never work. i'll probably try lightroom first tho

kn0x47

Reaction score
well i found this article about raw files in difference programs. looks like programs just handle raw files differently and i'll just have to deal with it

Back