HVAC(manual) unit will not function; possible broken solder joint fix?

DanielInPDX

Reaction score
Hello all, sorry for bumping an old thread. But this one is exactly what my issue is.

I have a 2000 Accord, and my AC control panel has been dead for a while now. I saw this post (and another one I can't find anymore) that suggested soldering a wire between two points..blah blah, basically what this thread is about.

Anyway, so I tried that and it didn't work initially. I then foolishly bought another one on ebay, and the replacement one was junk. Only 4 of the 5 buttons on top worked (no defrost). And to switch between those buttons I would have to hold down the button for a long time for it to swap.

And to go from recycled air, to regular air, AC on to AC off, and rear defrost, I would have to also wait a long time for it to switch.

So I thought I would try soldering the original one again and this time it actually worked. It switches between ALL of the buttons no problem whatsovever.

I then figured that I would try to solder the "replacement" one the same way, in hopes to eventually sell it and make some money off of it.

However, it didn't do anything but one button. (the middle button, aimed at the floor). the AC button doesn't work, nor does the recycled or defrost button(s).

I checked the wire I soldered on for continuity and there was continuity.

What are some of things I should try?

Thanks in advance.

eksine

Reaction score
I tried the jumper wire mod on my 2001 accord and it did not work also, another person reported the same as us. The real problem is that all the capacitors on the circuit board are bad. caps have a recommended replacement cycle of 10 years. they can fail years after or years before. the original are nichicon caps. I however used ones sourced from Amazon because I needed to test out my theory. I had no problems replacing all the capacitors except 1, the new one was smaller than the old one even though it's capacitance and voltage matched, this could be due to it was a low ESR cap, instead I used the next voltage size up which was about the same size, it's all I had on hand. I put it all back together and, IT WORKS, the lights hold steady on and I can use the AC normally. so to anyone who can solder or find someone who can do this first, I promise this is the actual fix, the jumper wire simply is bypassing the capacitors to a power source which is why several people report glitches like lights flickering or staying on. if you are rich buy nichicon capacitors, probably cost like $10-15 with shipping on mouser or digikey

Hello all, sorry for bumping an old thread. But this one is exactly what my issue is.

I have a 2000 Accord, and my AC control panel has been dead for a while now. I saw this post (and another one I can't find anymore) that suggested soldering a wire between two points..blah blah, basically what this thread is about.

Anyway, so I tried that and it didn't work initially. I then foolishly bought another one on ebay, and the replacement one was junk. Only 4 of the 5 buttons on top worked (no defrost). And to switch between those buttons I would have to hold down the button for a long time for it to swap.

And to go from recycled air, to regular air, AC on to AC off, and rear defrost, I would have to also wait a long time for it to switch.

So I thought I would try soldering the original one again and this time it actually worked. It switches between ALL of the buttons no problem whatsovever.

I then figured that I would try to solder the "replacement" one the same way, in hopes to eventually sell it and make some money off of it.

However, it didn't do anything but one button. (the middle button, aimed at the floor). the AC button doesn't work, nor does the recycled or defrost button(s).

I checked the wire I soldered on for continuity and there was continuity.

What are some of things I should try?

Thanks in advance.

Back