HELP! My Car Died!

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
I was driving in the terrible weather today and i was almost to my dad's house and i hit a puddle on a 1 lane road and my car shut off! it wouldnt start again. i tired about 20 times and nothin happened. it just wont turn over.

my dad suggested to me that its jus wet wires (spark plug wires). i even dried them off and tried to start it again, it just wont turn over.

i had my brother look at the engine bay while i started it, and he said he heard a clicking noise coming from the distributor cap. the car sounds like its really trying but it wont turn over.

tomarrow im goin to have to call AAA and try to tow it to a place where i can get a tune up. any good places that are recommended?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
how big was this puddle, do you have a cold air intake, and was the puddle on the side the intake is on if you have a cai?

retroshark

Reaction score
uh oh... i hope you didnt hydrolock it... do you have an intake? what mods are done to the car, and how old/mileage etc.

id say bad starter, but the car doesnt just die... i really hope you didnt hydrolock it, that would suck ***. did you check the plugs? were they wet? were they anything? do you even have plugs!?!?!?!

wg2k7

Reaction score
sorry bro, but it sounds like a hydrolock from what youve said, and hydrolock=bad news.

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
how big was this puddle, do you have a cold air intake, and was the puddle on the side the intake is on if you have a cai?
yea, i have a CAI. it was a one lane road and the puddles, well i'll try to descirbe them:

I~~~~~ II ~~~~~I
I~~~~~ II ~~~~~I
I~~~~~ II ~~~~~I

basically if you went to the middle of the two lane road both your tires would be touching water. I was driving barely over the two lane road going about 15 mph in a 25 mph zone.

i have CAI header, exhaust, springs on 1 1/2" drop. 98,500 miles. I checked the wires, but not the plugs. i dried everything down and tried again but no luck.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
were they like deep puddles? like were you splashing water high? or just little sh!ts? cuz if they were large ones and you were splashing a good ammount of water, you may have hydrolocked, in which case, youre just about f*cked.

minituck04

Reaction score
maybe you distributor cap got wet. wont let it start if its wet. may wanna take the cap off and let it dry. and pray its not hydrolocked

wg2k7

Reaction score
well it was questionable if you were stock but i think the cai makes it clear, sorry bro, i think your hydrolocked. if you dont know what that is its when the cai sucks water into the engine which, as you may or may not know, is not combustable like gas is, in which case the rods will bend and your engine will not work. depending on how bad it is you could need new rods or a new engine.

Av6916

Reaction score
Do you have a bi-pass valve with your cai by any chance? If you don't and you did go over a puddle which splashed a good amount of water, then your most likely did hydro lock your car. First you should take out the cai and see if there is alot of water in the piping, if there is then you also have another reason to suspect that you hydro locked your car. Hopefully that's not the case and get it looked at asap.

angelplus

Reaction score
Sounds like a hydrolock to me. Though I sure hope it isn't bro becuase that truly sucks! But you need to tell us more, like how deep was the puddle, was it right by the CAI? **** like that, or we wont be able to solve your problem, but the more I think about it, the more it becomes hydrolocked :( IU'd take a look at your plugs too

Back