Parents won't let me mod

blackhawksfan18

Reaction score
I hate to be the person that makes this thread, but at this point I don't know what to do. I want to buy stuff for my car (i.e. coils, exhaust, rims, etc) but of course my biggest obstacle; My parents! My Dad is cool with it, he just doesn't want to see go big time spender on boat loads of stuff (Like 5 lug conversion :D) but my Mom won't budge on anything. She keeps saying that the car is too old (It's only 13 years old) and that it's a waste of money. I have a friend that owns a 1993 Nissan 240sx that he has modded and it's nice for more than 20 years old. His mom doesn't like his car but he is still able to do what he wants. Hell, even my grandfather says it's a waste of time and money. But that's what they don't understand, I want to use my hard earned money and use my time on this car. The biggest reason is because this is personal to me. It's my first car and I want it to be something special in my life all the way up until the last day I own it so I can remember the "CG3" and say "Damn, that was a nice car." I try so hard to convince my parents and I'm not getting anywhere. Starting this May/June, I will be paying my own insurance and gas (I had previously paid for own gas before, not insurance). The title is in my parents name, but could I use the insurance and gas payments as a reason for this? I'm tired of hearing the word no from other people because it isn't there car and not their decision. FYI, older people on here that will tell me my parents are right, move on. Anybody that will say it isn't worth it, move on. You don't understand my love for cars, let alone the love for my own.

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Tell them that it's not their concern like they're not the ones driving or spending the money. Better yet it's your hobby. It's what you love to do. Everybody has a hobby and that they spend money on. I know people who have spent over $1000 on bicycles. Atleast a vehicle can transport you it's something you do everyday. My dad has a modded accord so being 16 my dad encourages me modding and likes what I do differently than him.

blackhawksfan18

Reaction score
Tell them that it's not their concern like they're not the ones driving or spending the money. Better yet it's your hobby. It's what you love to do. Everybody has a hobby and that they spend money on. I know people who have spent over $1000 on bicycles. Atleast a vehicle can transport you it's something you do everyday. My dad has a modded accord so being 16 my dad encourages me modding and likes what I do differently than him.
I'm going to wait till warmer weather to sit them down and explain it to them that this what I love. They know I love cars because they see me every week outside in the summer cleaning it :D

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
My mom wouldn't let me mod either.. I just kept doing it until she gave up. It works.. WTF they gonna do? Then again she didn't know that my latest at the time $3,000+ was under the hood of the Accord, her husband kept wondering why I had an extra radiator in the front and an exhaust system problem, as well as some weird whistling noise - what's that a vacuum leak?? :lawl:.

I was then happy to be finally completely independent financially and with lifestyle choices at 24.

:sparta:

EDIT: Sorry if I am setting a piss-poor example for young ones, but each person's choices are theirs and no one elses! What everyone else has said is right, they just don't want to see you setting the wrong priorities. Life is about BALANCE, not extremism.

Last edited:

Kyler

Reaction score
Man I was in the same boat, I told my parents that I'll pay the insurance and they won't have to pay at all for the upgrades, on top of that, I keep all the stock parts for if I ever want to sell. but sometimes I wish I haven't blown a lot of money on it, I'm already three tranny's deep.

kn0x47

Reaction score
wow how horrible your parents must be to try to teach you how to be responsible instead of spending money on their car...

yeah i'm sure "they don't understand" cause obviously they were never your age

#firstworldproblems

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
just spend wisely... do what u can, but also learn tht for most of the mods u put on will never appreciate in value.. u'll be lucky to get back half of what u paid

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
FYI, older people on here that will tell me my parents are right, move on. Anybody that will say it isn't worth it, move on. You don't understand my love for cars, let alone the love for my own.
this brought forth a hearty keke :lawl:

just remember: in life, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
First before I begin, I would like to say, "it's been a while" since one of these threads popped up. Made me feel a little nostalgic for a second haha. I inherited my old auto CG at age 16 just like you when I was still in H.S. The modding bug bit me as well early on because of my "love for cars" as well at a young age. My dad, did not want me to mod anything on it for several reasons which you stated above.

At that time during my enrollment in H.S, I was not able to financially pay for anything. No money for gas, insurance, modding, nothing. So I gladly obeyed my dad and did not do anything other than buying car cleaning products. After I hit 18 and started my first year in College, I was able to pay for gas, so I thought I had some "leverage" as you would say. I started with small stuff like blackhouse headlights, paint emblems, tail lights, and rims to which my dad didn't say anything about it. Afterwards, I decided I was going to put a front lip on and drop the car. That's when everything went "downhill" in terms of tolerance.

My dad always nag about it on a daily basis because I picked him up everyday from work back then, so during the ride he would say it's not comfortable, not convenient, not safe, and couple other things. I was persistent with having my way and stood my ground and did not budge. After one year, he gave up and left me alone, and I was able to mod it the way I wanted to.

Fast forward to age 20, I was financially stable with a full time job, and I am able to pay for everything my myself, bills, food, gas, insurance, and the car payment itself to my dad so I can transfer the title over to my name. At age 22, I bought a 5speed CG because I wanted something a little more fun. I only did a little modding on it so far, but no complaints from my dad because he know I used my "own hard earned" money to purchase it by myself and I am more mature now.

Fast forward to age 23, after moving into my new house with my parents, I started to set up my detailing products, buying new equipment, remodeling the garage, and he starts to say how much money I wasted on all that stuff. I tell him it's an "investment", and I will be starting "my own" business in the future, and he goes on his way again. What I am trying to say in my story is that, your parents have lived longer than you, and have experienced much more things in life than you would understand at this point. They are only trying to look out for you whether it's financially, or in general just trying to be a good parent and guide you to the right path.

Back