H23a DOHC vtec swap?

vm6thgen88

Reaction score
i am new to the forum and i wanted know if anyone can help me i have 2001 lx sedan automatic an i want to swap out my f23 for a h23 vtec from the accord sir wagon i know it only comes with an auto trans and thats what i have and want to keep it that way

i know about the driver side mount needing to be modified and i googled as much as i could and didnt find much with our cars
i also heard theres a lot of wiring problems the h23 is also obdII

i already have the motor what else would i need and will this swap even work??

thanks guys...

Last edited:

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Re: H23a vtec swap?

From what ive been told. With the h23 and f20b, our stock mounts can be used.

jdmcg3

Reaction score

driver side mount. other than that youre golden.

and there shouldnt be any wiring problems. just use your f23 wiring harness. everything should plug right up.

but is the motor a h23a block with h22 head?? i ask cause there is no "h23a vtec". although there is a h23a1 vtec. just a little fyi

vm6thgen88

Reaction score

thanks for the info so far guys

no h22 head

this is the motor info:-----------

H23A DOHC VTEC

In 1998, Honda of Japan produced a rare DOHC VTEC version of the H23A engine for use in Japan only. It has been factory modified with an internal oil passage in the H23A block to operate the VTEC solenoid in the H22A head. Having the same horsepower rating as the H22A engine but it has a lower redline because it has a longer stroke than H22A. H23A DOHC VTEC has 87mm x 95mm (bore and stroke)and the H22A DOHC VTEC has 87mm x 90.7mm (bore and stroke). The H23A DOHC VTEC Engine is largest displacement in the H Series engines with a compression ratio of 10.6:1.

Found in the Japanese 1998-2002 Accord Wagon SiR (CH9). It produces 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) & 163 ft·lbf (221 N·m) and comes with a "blue top".
Found in the Japanese 1998-2002 Accord Wagon AWD (CL2). It produces 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) & 163 ft·lbf (221 N·m) and comes with a "blue top".

vm6thgen88

Reaction score

come on guys 44 views i know someone on here is a h motor guru i really need help with this

i also just read there might be a problem using the stock ecu

i just need to know what else is involved with this swap i know i cant just drop it right in with just a small mount issue

thanks

Freedom_Honda's

Reaction score
Re: H23a vtec swap? some help please?

Hey man, I just completed a f20b swap in my 99 lx. I used all the stock mounts and brackets for the swap, I used my stock tranny, stock wiring harness, ect.

Our distributor plug on the engine harness is an odd plug so this is what i did.

The obd2 jdm engine does not have the ckp and tdc sensor on the oil pump housing like the f23ax does. The jdm dizzy has them inside. I made a harness to complete the circuit so it would run. I can make this harness in about 4 hours.

I converted my car to obd1 but with my harness, you can start it as obd2 but I dont recommend running it long on the stock ecu.

Check out my build thread in the member rides section. Pm me for more info if your interested in one of the harnesses sir! Its plug and play

Also did you plan on keeping the car automatic? If you plan on keeping the car automatic, use your auto flywheel from your f23. I recommend you swap it to a 5spd just because running the engine on a stock f23 ecu, you wont get the full potential of the engine. Will it work? Yes it will work but will not run at its full potential.

Last edited:

vm6thgen88

Reaction score

yes i plan on keeping it automatic i mean as long as it accelerates better cause we all know the f23 is so sluggish

thats what i was kinda worried about it not running good with the f23 ecu
i dont know if any different ecu would work because i didnt want to convert to obdI because of inspection and all that i was hoping there would be a way to run smooth with no cel but it doesnt look that way someone was telling me use a 96 prelude ecu but i dont see why the motor isnt the h22 it came from the jdm accord wagon sir i dont think i could get that ecu

thanks so far

vm6thgen88

Reaction score

thats awesome bro but i still dont know if the prelude ecu will even work with h23.

i know seen only one person on this forum with the swap and i found nothing about the process in his threads

i know a guy named drift is a h22 expert but dont know if he can help me

Drift

Reaction score
Re: H23a DOHC vtec swap? need help

I have no idea whats going on.

Almost any OBDI honda ecu will work, p06, p72, p13, p28 etc. And as for OBDII, any, P13 will work if the immobilizer is removed as mentioned in the thread above. And if you can find a p13-a12 (96 ecu) you wont need to worry about the immobilizer.

Have fun with the EVAP system!

Im out b!tches!

Back