Got pulled over for exhaust of all things.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
So literally about 15 minutes ago I got pulled over 1 block from my house on the way home for work. I was worried that it was because I forgot to use a turn signal or maybe speeding but I'm pretty sure I was only going 5 over. The officer comes up to me and says its because of my exhaust. He asked if I knew that I had an illegal exhaust system. I tried to say no I didn't because my exhaust (Magnaflow) is not only advertised as being DOT compliant and street legal but I've had it for over three years and last year I was pulled over for an improper lane change and the cop said absolutely nothing about it, but he interrupted me and said something like "WELL the Virginia code is something you're gonna need to look up to be one of our fine citizens. Anything that emits a loud tone or any sound thats not normal is not road legal." In my head I'm like dude get off your ****ing power trip, I WANT TO GO TO BED. He asked me where I lived and I said I lived just down the street on the left and I've been working since 3 and I just wanted to go home and go to bed. Basically that meant nothing to him and he walked off with license and registration in hand, came back to me and just gave me the ticket with my court appearance date. He said have a safe night but then he came back suddenly and was like "Oh yeah, BTW your headlights aren't white but I'm cutting you a break."

My question is, does this mean I can just pay a fine and keep the exhaust or do I have to remove it and like take pictures or something? I do know a shop run by a friend of mine that'll validate a form saying everything's ok even if it isn't if I have to do that. I don't really care about having a loud exhaust, I just like the look of it. If I were to get pulled over for the same reason before the court date what would happen? Additional fine or something? What a crappy way to go to bed...

BPAccord

*DAIGAKUSOTSU*
Reaction score
it should say on ur ticket......it'll tell u if it needs to be fixed and signed off by an officer or not.....im pretty sure it is anywayz

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
it should say on ur ticket......it'll tell u if it needs to be fixed and signed off by an officer or not.....im pretty sure it is anywayz

Its just saying its a Virginia Uniform Summons. He said I could prepay it but is there any negative side effect of going ahead and doing that? Like does it come off my record if I go to court and it doesn't if I prepay or something like that?

Here's the official code for the HORRIBLE offense:http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes/toc4602000/46.2-1049.html

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
thats crap... does he pull over every single truck that drives by him that is running duals.. i doubt it

i think he was just singling you out.... i say just go to court and provide all the info you can about your magna flow :)

6genaccord

Reaction score
usually the law states that an exhaust is illegal based on decibels for the "too loud" reading. so I'd find what the decibel is and i'm sure yours is under it and just prove it that way

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
thats crap... does he pull over every single truck that drives by him that is running duals.. i doubt it

i think he was just singling you out.... i say just go to court and provide all the info you can about your magna flow :)

I definitely agree about him singling me out. I had a guy in an STI next to me with a giant Cobb decal on the side and some tilted fart can and a guy in a Dodge Ram with dual exhaust (flowmasters probably) to my left in the turn lane. The light turns green and all three of our vehicles start moving their respective directions and my exhaust is the one thats suddenly loud? The **** is that.

When you say provide info about my exhaust what exactly are we talking about?

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
this "my exhaust (Magnaflow) is not only advertised as being DOT compliant and street legal"

he probably heard the sti and just assumed that it had to have been a honda making that much noise... lol

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
this "my exhaust (Magnaflow) is not only advertised as being DOT compliant and street legal"

he probably heard the sti and just assumed that it had to have been a honda making that much noise... lol

haha always a hater, always a pig. I love how cops will spout how they KNOW whats going down on the street on these cop documentaries, especially the ones where they have mass arrests for street racing but then you get pulled over by one of them and they're ignorant as hell. I really can't have respect for someone that goes home to a cold house and/or a fat wife and wakes up the next morning to the existence of being a robot tool with a badge and too much power for one redneck to handle.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
i believe its 95 decb.

but the thing is i dont think your exhaust is under 95 decb. so if you go to cour with that argument, and they actually check, your fcuked.

Back