Blah... need help desperately! Crappy situation/H22 swap related

RedlineAccord

Reaction score
My car shut off going 40 mph last week, and threw a CEL (P1382 - Cylinder Position Sensor no signal). I thought it was the cam sensor so I replaced the distributor and that didn't work. I know it could be the crank sensor, but from what mechanics (friends of the family) have told us, the timing belt broke. I've been told that this could cause damage to the rods/pistons and I might need to spend quite a bit of money fixing it. Once I do get it looked at, and if I do need many major parts, I was considering just swapping in a H22.

Now don't grill me here, but my car is an automatic, and I plan to keep it that way (I'm getting rid of it within two years, so I don't plan on spending much more money to fix it than necessary). Would there be issues matting the H22 motor to F23 auto tranny? I honestly just want the car fixed, and hope that a quick fix would just be the timing belt and thats it. If it comes down to it though, and the job will be major money, I rather just trash the F23 motor and get a bunch more horses out of the H22!

Egi7

Reaction score
If your current motor is in bad enough shape that you are required to buy a new one, then just buy another f23. Do not even attempt the H22 if you are Auto and staying Auto. Plus if you dont plan on keeping this car much longer I wouldnt even go through the trouble even IF you were planing to go manual. Take my word on this, Trust Me, I speak from experience.....

-Mike

F23A1AT

Reaction score
My car shut off going 40 mph last week, and threw a CEL (P1382 - Cylinder Position Sensor no signal). I thought it was the cam sensor so I replaced the distributor and that didn't work. I know it could be the crank sensor, but from what mechanics (friends of the family) have told us, the timing belt broke. I've been told that this could cause damage to the rods/pistons and I might need to spend quite a bit of money fixing it. Once I do get it looked at, and if I do need many major parts, I was considering just swapping in a H22.

Now don't grill me here, but my car is an automatic, and I plan to keep it that way (I'm getting rid of it within two years, so I don't plan on spending much more money to fix it than necessary). Would there be issues matting the H22 motor to F23 auto tranny? I honestly just want the car fixed, and hope that a quick fix would just be the timing belt and thats it. If it comes down to it though, and the job will be major money, I rather just trash the F23 motor and get a bunch more horses out of the H22!

Yes there will be serious issues, the slushboxes are weak as it is doing that would be like dropping a glass off of your roof, it will break, but when. Plus wiring would be a nightmare and proly take two years.

Unlikely if you broke the timing belt you engine was out of sychonization and the car was still moving therefore the bottom end kept reciprocating while the head didn't. You will most likely have bent valves, this means you will need to replace the head, machine the top of the block and the bottom of the head. None of this is cheap even with hookups.

Hate to be the person who gives you the bad news. Pretty sure i'm right on this anyone else care to chime in.

RedlineAccord

Reaction score
I see... blah, oh well. I mean I definitely wouldn't be looking for crazy performance out of this craptastic automatic transmission to begin with, but if it is too much of a hassle then I won't waste the time nor the money. Just frustrating to be dumping so much money into the car. I just replaced the timing belt about 30,000 miles ago! I'm at around 105,000 miles on the car and I've had the absolute worst luck with it. Just want to get rid of it honestly. If you don't mind me asking, what made the swap so difficult?

*PS - thank you very much for the quick answers. About how much can that possibly run someone F23AT? I just want to have an idea of what I'm looking at here. Don't hurt me, but I am drooling over that new Genesis Coupe, and think it's about this Accord's time to go. :(

RedlineAccord

Reaction score
Yes, I would be sticking a H22 with a F23 auto tranny. Not dead set on the idea, but I didn't see any threads on it (searched before), so I decided to see if anyone had any info. on it themselves. Also like I said, I'd be interested to know what a straight repair for my F23 would cost with the work you said that may be required. Just a ballpark figure I guess.

Egi7

Reaction score
You mean the H22 with a F23 auto tranny?

Not doable. I'm the only person on the forum to ever get that setup to work and when I say work I mean "driveable", not smooth or seemlessly. It is a lot of work, a lot of reading, and a lot of time. I would go detail by detail but we would be here until next month. I swapped to stick because I dumped so much money into my setup that I was determined to fully enjoy it. Not trying to be rude but if you dont plan to swap to manual don't even try it.

-Mike

RedlineAccord

Reaction score
Oh no, not being rude at all. I believe you. I just wonder how much the repair bill is going to be. Hah I was just trying to turn a large repair bill into a possible plus, getting at least the H22 motor I've always wanted.

RedlineAccord

Reaction score
Ugh, thats rough. Thanks for the help fellas. Now I have to figure out what I should go do with this hunk of junk. Sorry, I used to love my Accord, but it's just given me so much trouble (for keeping up with maintenance and such, really frustrating!!).

Back