Oil filter Stuck v6

sabSquishy

Reaction score
So I've drained my oil and now I just have to change the filter but it won't come off. I've used vice grips and it's only crushed a bit of my filter so I decided to stop. I'm thinking of filling oil right now and then taking it to the shop first thing in the morning.

I've turned my wheel right to give me more room and even have taken off my bumper. That thing isn't turning. I've tried breaking the seal with a knife. I don't want to try to screwdriver method because my friend did that yesterday to his car and he ended up being towed to the shop.

Any other methods I should try before I fill up the oil and drive it in the morning? Is it safe to drive a couple of blocks with the slightly messed up filter?

2011-10-17224341.jpg

1fastj30a1

Reaction score
good luck, here are the remains of what happened with a stuck cheap filter on a truck i did an oil change on not too long ago:

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo253/v6pgirlaccount/325ecb1a.jpg

used an oil wrench with a chain if you can. it ended up being one of those pliers that head extends that got it off. forgot what its called but it looks like hybrid of pliers and an adjustable wrench

Chris Vu

Reaction score
aslong as the filter isnt punctured and leaking oil it should be fine. do you have a strap wrench at your house ? those things work miracles. my buddy crushed his with an oil filter wrench so i grabbed a rubber strap wrench from my house and that sucker came right off

jwong512

Reaction score
Iwould just start up the car and see if there's any leaks or weird noises. I everything goes well, then I would just drive it to a shop and see what they can do.

sabSquishy

Reaction score
I literally got it off with vice grips 5 minutes after making my original post. Thanks everyone.

ActNow

Reaction score
Remember only hand tighten the next one. You don't want this happening again.

Spxnerd

Reaction score
Ah, had this happen to me once. I punctured with a screw driver and hit it with a hammer a few times, came right out. They have those oil filter claws, that may come in handy for future references.

Back