DIY: Installing a Rearview Camera

crossfire

Reaction score
Here's my DIY on doing a clean rearview camera install.

The finished product should look something like this:
IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

So to start you will need to remove your license plate light. I'm going to assume you all know how to do that. It should look like this once it's out.
IMG_0084.JPG

Then you are going to want to cut the bubble part off. I cut most of it off and then finished it off with a belt sander.

Cut with dremel
IMG_0086.JPG

After sanding
IMG_0088.JPG

Be sure to sand this side to get it flat and create a surface to adhere to.

Now take a piece of plexiglass and roughly cut it to shape
IMG_0091.JPG

Traced
IMG_0095.JPG

Once you have roughly fit the plexiglass you are going to want to glue it to the surface you sanded earlier. I used plumbers goop because it is supposed to dry clear. It take 24 hours to dry though. You could always use a clear epoxy too. Be sure to clamp while the adhesive cures.

After you should have something like this with glue coming out of the edges. This is good because it insures a waterproof seal.
IMG_0106.JPG

Then take it back to the belt sander and sand until the adhesive it gone. I even went a little further in to make the transition between the license plate light piece and the plexi look better.
IMG_0109.JPG

Sanding marks
IMG_0110.JPG

Then I wetsanded the sanding marks just for the heck of it. I used 600 grit sandpaper. It helped clean up the sanding marks.
IMG_0111.JPG

Then drill the holes for mounting the camera and the camera wire and slap that sucker back in!

By doing it this way you don't have to drill into you trunk and the only piece you'd have to replace to revert to stock is the license plate light cover. Also, it looks way better and the camera is centered on the car. I myself took the opportunity to install license plate LEDs. They look like this.

IMG_0654.JPG

This shows the camera's final position as well as the license plate LEDs
IMG_0657.JPG

For those who are looking for the reverse wire to connect to your headunit it can be found of the drivers side fuse box.

IMG_0660.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Bax

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
very nice and clean idea..looks good. better than spending 150+$ on a license plate frame with it built in.ha
how does the radio know its in reverse to show up on the screen?

crossfire

Reaction score
very nice and clean idea..looks good. better than spending 150+$ on a license plate frame with it built in.ha
how does the radio know its in reverse to show up on the screen?
My headunit has a reverse sensing wire. The camer ais always on and the headunit will switch to the picture. And a neat little feature is that I can look out the back while driving. :)

ActNow

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this DIY I have a reverse camera option on my pioneer. This makes me want to use it that much more.

Edit: Excellent rating for this thread.

Last edited:

Bax

Reaction score
Nice diy. I have a double din radio that has the option for a rear view camera as well, i am just too lazy to do it. If i ever do though, i'll definitely use this as a reference.

Where did you get the camera?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice job, the only thing i'd think about doing is having the camera mounted somewhere a little more hidden. Great DIY though! :)

crossfire

Reaction score
Nice diy. I have a double din radio that has the option for a rear view camera as well, i am just too lazy to do it. If i ever do though, i'll definitely use this as a reference.

Where did you get the camera?
I got it from Amazon it's a Power Acoustik CCD-4XS

Back