Blacked Out My Headlights (PICS)

xluben

Reaction score
couple days ago i blacked out my headlights per these instructions:

http://www.filtsai.com/accord/housings/index.php

i didn't take any pics to document the process, but it went just like that link describes.

i started at about 4PM, finished at around 8PM and only about an hour was waiting for paint to dry.

one of my headlights had a TON of dust in it, so i was originally just going to take apart that one and clean it.

i unfortunately decided to use a scotch brite pad, and it started taking off the reflective material =(

the reflective material was already in pretty bad shape, so i decided to take them both apart and black them out. i used gloss black krylon fusion.

i didn't mask off the reflective area around the turn signal, but now that i have them on it's as i'd hoped, not that big of a deal.

it's just the amber lights, so doesn't affect visibility much, and turn signal is still easily noticeable for other drivers.

when trying to pry the headlights apart, i found that 300 degrees for a shorter period of time, seemed to work better, but both headlights took a few rounds in the oven to get apart.

when i put them back together i just threw them back in the oven and then squished them together until the tabs were on.

seems to be working fine, no condensation problems yet.

the main problem that i ran into, is that by the time i was ready to put everything back together, it was dark, and it had snowed 2-3 inches (and was still snowing)!

obviously this made re-assembly a real pain, and took much longer than it should have.

here's pics, ignore the very dirty car, it snowed last night and there's tons of salt on the roads.

headlight003Small.jpg

headlight004Small.jpg

headlight005Small.jpg

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
Looks good...if you do anything else to the headlights you will notice that it will be really easy to pry them open now..the first time always sucks...but the rest will be easy..and you might have to add more silicone...

now the fun part..wait a few days and see if moisture gets in

xluben

Reaction score
00Accord4cyl said:

did it 4 days ago, no problems yet (but it hasn't been over 10F :()

iStealBunnieSz

Reaction score
00Accord4cyl said:
Looks good...if you do anything else to the headlights you will notice that it will be really easy to pry them open now..the first time always sucks...but the rest will be easy..and you might have to add more silicone...

lol ! I hate the fun part :(

xluben

Reaction score
here's a pic of how they look at night:

intake042smallzs0.jpg

Sinful

Reaction score
I feel iffy putting my headlights in the oven lol. Baked headlights for dinner. I'm gonna blackhouse my headlights sometime this week.

DarkElegance919

Reaction score
i just blackhoused my friend's headlights for his 6th gen a week or two ago...now after the rain, water got in and got foggy....now i'm gonna have to do it again. =/

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Sinful said:
I feel iffy putting my headlights in the oven lol. Baked headlights for dinner. I'm gonna blackhouse my headlights sometime this week.
thats why its heat gun ftw

if youre having fogging issues, there 2 things i do before putting the headlight back together.

1. keep the silicone that comes off on the knife/screwdrivers and place it back in the housing where there is less or no silicone.
2. get the housing warm before putting the lens on, then squeeze the "pryed" section of the housing back parallel with the bottom. this helps so the top of the housing isnt all crazy.

ive had my one headlight apart 3 times and the other twice with zero fogging :D

DarkElegance919

Reaction score
i tried putting the piece of silicone back in but still...=/ is it a good idea to buy some silicone and squeeze some in when putting it back together for the second time?

Back