ZFreak's RB26DETT Z32 300zx build...

ZFreak

Reaction score
That head looks very narrow. Whats the bore on the rb26? Also, is the valve train shim and bucket, or shimless bucket? That valve cover is very sexy

86mm bore, and somewhere around 73mm stroke.

It's a solid lifter (OEM), and the shims are under the buckets. The valvetrain is a PITA to adjust.

Last edited:

ZFreak

Reaction score
Eh, a few pics from today...

DSC_2824.jpg

Head ready to go on... waiting on head gasket (due August 21st)
DSC_2828.jpg

Wide oil pump crank collar (this is a good thing...early models had a very thin collar)
DSC_2830.jpg

Old AWD oil pan, front diff removed (I'll sell this to a 240sx guy that can use it, modified for RWD only... I can't use it in my swap due to clearance)
DSC_2833.jpg

hirichard

Reaction score
i loled at the fact that he has a non-6ga members thread and not a 6ga members thread

ZFreak

Reaction score
i loled at the fact that he has a non-6ga members thread and not a 6ga members thread

haha..

my 6ga is just a daily driver... I can post some pics up this weekend of it to make it "legal". hah..

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
Droolz!

My favorite car of all time but it sucks that I cant finance a good one!!!

I think the RB has more potential than that of the VG power wise. Ive yet to see a VG Fairlady with 1k+hp without spray. Id still uch prefer the VG though.

Love the Z man.

ZFreak

Reaction score
Well, today I was finally able to get the correct size for my snap ring pliers to get the transmission main bearing and shift linkage separated from the bellhousing, so I can remove the bellhousing from the RB26 AWD transmission.

Those that haven't been following this thread: I have to use the RB26DETT AWD 5 speed bellhousing (so it bolts to the block). The awesome part of this swap is that the 300zx transmission (once the bellhousing is removed), bolts right up to the RB26 AWD bellhousing!!! How cool is that! This allows me to use the 1pc driveshaft I already have, my NISMO transmission mount I already have, and so on. Internally, the 5 speed gear set is IDENTICAL, but is a LOT of work to swap over. The gears in the RB26 trans looked GREAT (and no 4th gear synchro worn!), but it's much more trouble than it's worth... I can just get a used transmission from a Z for like $200. (a BRAND new one from Nissan is still only $1700 which isn't that bad).

That being said, I think the spline shaft on the driveshaft may be bent... I can't seem to get it out of the back of my 300zx transmission. These driveshafts have held more than 1100 RWHP before breaking, so I know it's not the power that did this. I'll mess with it this weekend.

It looks like the trans. fluid in the RB26 transmission has never been changed....it's CAKED on in side that transmission housing! I may have the machine shop hot tank it for me before I put it onto the Z's transmission.

Z32 trans sitting due to the driveshaft stuck in the back (won't come out)...spline may be bent.
DSC_2948.jpg

Bellhousing removed!!! woohoo! This really wasn't too bad.
DSC_2945.jpg

DSC_2946.jpg

Gears don't look all that bad...
DSC_2947.jpg

sitting...
DSC_2949.jpg

Looking at 4th gear synchro..
DSC_2951.jpg

So tempting to want to swap it over....
DSC_2952.jpg

bye bye AWD RB26DETT 5 speed trans... (it's in the trash now)
DSC_2953.jpg

DSC_2957.jpg

Got the new 300zx TT Oil Pressure Sending Unit on...
DSC_2959.jpg

Custom Mounts installed...(the RB26 sits "tilted" to the driver side when it's in... the RB25's and RB20's sit straight up and down)
DSC_2960.jpg

Custom FMIC and Custom Radiator...
DSC_2961.jpg

Back