ZFreak's RB26DETT Z32 300zx build...

russiansohcf23

Reaction score
I was never really a big fan of the 300ZX, but after looking at this build and how much potential it has, I think i changed my mind about them.
The 1st and the 3rd pic are my favs.
Good luck with the build!

ZFreak

Reaction score
Update:

The headgasket arrived.... Cometic MLS (Multi-layer steel) 86.5mm (stock bore), as well as the parts I sent off for powdercoating. (Hood latch, support, intake manifold, and some other random parts)... same guy I've used for all the other builds... TRGcoating.com

I'll have the head torqued down and everything reassembled sans oil pump and oil pan this weekend. (and of course, pics to follow)

Here's a few:

DSC_2991.jpg

DSC_2992.jpg

DSC_2993.jpg

DSC_2994.jpg

DSC_2995.jpg

The "multi layer" of the headgasket
DSC_2997.jpg

as it sits right now...

DSC_3004.jpg

ZFreak

Reaction score
Well, good news AND bad news.... REALLY bad news.

The good news:

I have the head torqued on, throttle bodies on and synched (what a pain in the *** that is!), intake manifold installed, all sensors installed, thermostat and housing installed, exhaust side valve cover and gasket installed. (read below to see why the intake valve cover is just "sitting" there). I installed the manifold, but the crappy-*** gaskets it came with don't fit worth a ****, so I'll order the $30ea (x2) OEM ones. The fitment of this turbo manifold is impressive. I see why so many people run them now (and because they are "tried and tested" for several years). I have the cam seal on the exhaust side replaced as well.

Anyway, here ya go:

When I was torqing the intake camshaft down, I don't think it "seated" correctly, and as I was tightening everything down, it snapped. I thought I was tigntening against the valve spring pressure, and I was wrong.... FORTUNATELY, there's no damage to the journal area on the head, and I just need to find a new camshaft (no I'm not running aftermarket ones yet!!!!) which is easier said than done on this engine. So I haven't put the valve cover on obviously....it's just sitting there for the pics because I got excited. :)

Pics:

DSC_3005.jpg

DSC_3006.jpg

DSC_3007.jpg

DSC_3011.jpg

DSC_3019.jpg

DSC_3020.jpg

DSC_3022.jpg

Back