Blazinqwickly's F23A1 ,Happy wife, Happy Life Build.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
I appreciate the kind words, it really pushes us along with the build and don't feel so bad for dumping money into it any more.

Believe it or not the seats need some love, the bolster on the driver side seat has come apart from the lazy previous owner not getting in and out of the car properly and looks like he never conditioned them so the leather is hard and cracked in places where the sun hit it constantly.

The seats will need to be refurbished for sure and I am pretty sure the cost of that is close to the price of a set of race seats.

I am tempted to get her some lighter race seats but the problem with that is, in the case of a rollover the OEM seats are posed to snap and lay flat to try and save you when the roof collapses.
Now we all know a fixed back seat will not do that and you would need a roll cage in that case, but I wonder if the adjustable back style race seats could mimic the way the OEM's would break away ?

For some reason I doubt they would, but the weight savings would be pretty nice considering all the weight of the electronics and motors for the adjustable seat position in these cars.
I just would not want to sacrifice her safety on the road in a worst case scenario, so when the time comes I will be making some calls to see if there are any options out there that fit the bill so to speak.

Accordx

Reaction score
Never thought about that with the oem safety feature compared to aftermarket seats. You're probably right about the fact that most race seats aren't going to have the laying mechanism that oem seats have. That's an interesting one, safety before weight reduction I guess.

Connie

Reaction score
Interesting thought on the seats, you're probably right!
And those OEM power everything seats do weigh a ton. I'll admit, though, that I've grown used to them, and like the power adjustment quite a lot. Very comfortable, too. My black car has the heated seats too, which is especially awesome for us up here in the North.

Being my daily, I'm not super concerned with the weight.

The weekend toys can have race seats and weight reduction, but I like having a comfy highway cruiser as an option, too.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Interesting thought on the seats, you're probably right!
And those OEM power everything seats do weigh a ton. I'll admit, though, that I've grown used to them, and like the power adjustment quite a lot. Very comfortable, too. My black car has the heated seats too, which is especially awesome for us up here in the North.

Being my daily, I'm not super concerned with the weight.

The weekend toys can have race seats and weight reduction, but I like having a comfy highway cruiser as an option, too.

Hahahaha, grab me some peanut butter cause I am jelly you have heated seats :)

It may be the south here, but the cold mornings or sitting at the drive in movie in the winter, those heated seats sure would make a nice little addition to not pasting your but to some frozen leather lol.

You are right about a daily driver seat needing to have plenty of comfort, my wife and I are not getting any younger and my old man tail bone needs all it can get on long road trips.

The only thing I could see helping her a little more was if the side bolsters on the seats were built up a little more possibly to hold the driver and passenger in place while having those spirited twisty back road moments.

It will be something to consider when talking to the seat repair and fabricator behind our house. I am quite handy with tools and mechanical jobs, but if you turn me lose with needle and thread it might look like a Frankenstein stitch job :henry: Best leave that one to the professional when the funds are there.

Connie

Reaction score
Hahahaha, grab me some peanut butter cause I am jelly you have heated seats :)

It may be the south here, but the cold mornings or sitting at the drive in movie in the winter, those heated seats sure would make a nice little addition to not pasting your but to some frozen leather lol.

You are right about a daily driver seat needing to have plenty of comfort, my wife and I are not getting any younger and my old man tail bone needs all it can get on long road trips.

The only thing I could see helping her a little more was if the side bolsters on the seats were built up a little more possibly to hold the driver and passenger in place while having those spirited twisty back road moments.

It will be something to consider when talking to the seat repair and fabricator behind our house. I am quite handy with tools and mechanical jobs, but if you turn me lose with needle and thread it might look like a Frankenstein stitch job :henry: Best leave that one to the professional when the funds are there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure the seats in the later cars (2000-2002) had beefier bolsters than the 98-99 earlier cars. The 3 late cars I have all have nice beefy bolsters, but my 98 sedan has much smaller bolsters than the others. Maybe look at swapping to later model seats and have those reupholstered to match. That way your guy won't have to build the bolsters up so much to give you what you want.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
That would be really nice if the newer ones do, I will need to keep my eye out for when the pick and pull has a working pair in order or craigslisting possibly.

It would also be nice to not have the car without seats for a few weeks while the guy was refurbishing them, It saves me from having to put more miles on the GSR right now taking her to and from work.

I am definitely going to explore that as a option and I appreciate the heads up about the newer seats, sometimes the simplest of choices are the best ones.

So on a different note, I noticed the tie rods are getting old and worn, the passenger side axle is crapping the bed every where with axel grease and her lower ball joint boot covers are split and weeping every where, also getting closer for a new timing belt/waterpump/ and tensioner.

Considering the car has 180,000 on it, I chose to order all new parts and start fresh as the old parts have done their job for the past 18 years and I want my wife as safe as possible on the roads with the bad drivers I see.

Moog Problem solver inner and outer tie rods and lower ball joints, new Cardone axels, Gates timing belt kit and topped it off with a new air filter, 3 quarts of Honda MTF and crush washers and 5 quarts of Castrol full synthetic oil and Bosh filter.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Yeah other then that stuff and alignment because the new tie rods will have the geometry out of whack, the A/C or lack of there of needs to be addressed.

This is Texas and our summers can be brutal as some know, so I am sure it is a leak happened some where, one of the main reasons A/C systems stop blowing cold. Unless the compressor clutch burned up or one of the other components crapped out which could always be possible too I guess, it is just going to take time and money like anything worth doing in this world, but I will see it threw to the end.

Pretty sure when my wife said she wanted to go to a day spa sauna, she did not picture sitting in a black leather car with no A/C in 115* weather sweating it out.
So it is on my to-do list of Accord rehab with all the other stuff this summer, I got my hands full no doubt about it.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure the seats in the later cars (2000-2002) had beefier bolsters than the 98-99 earlier cars. The 3 late cars I have all have nice beefy bolsters, but my 98 sedan has much smaller bolsters than the others.

I didn't know they changed the size of the seat bolsters. I've got both a 99 and an 00 sedan here, and always thought the 99 front seats were worn out (fat guy syndrome). But what you're saying does make sense, as I've driven my wife's 00 to Texas and back twice, without any issues, but just running around town in the 99, and the seat feels like it's worn out and flat for a lack of a better way to put it. The seats in my 97 almost feel like Recaros compared to the 99 seats, and I've even thought about swapping them (they just fit/feel better).

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
I didn't know they changed the size of the seat bolsters. I've got both a 99 and an 00 sedan here, and always thought the 99 front seats were worn out (fat guy syndrome). But what you're saying does make sense, as I've driven my wife's 00 to Texas and back twice, without any issues, but just running around town in the 99, and the seat feels like it's worn out and flat for a lack of a better way to put it. The seats in my 97 almost feel like Recaros compared to the 99 seats, and I've even thought about swapping them (they just fit/feel better).

I thought mine were just worn out too cause they are pretty flat, every time you take a hard turn it feels like you are using the door arm to keep you in the seat (which cant be terribly safe lol).

Either way, seats from a newer model or a higher bolster on the ones in it needs to be trimmed out on the seat when being re-fabricated, which I feel like I am going to end up having to go that route.
The main reason being, even if I did find some used ones, we can all bet they are going to be just as worn out from 15-20 years of butt planting daily abuse.
So that is why I am starting to think at this point reupholstering is going to end up happening either way, so might as well just get the ones in it redone.
Thankfully we have two cars so I can play driving Mrs Daisy for a week or two when we get the money saved for that part of the build.

Rusty where in Texas do you go when you visit with your wife?

Back