Blazinqwickly's F23A1 ,Happy wife, Happy Life Build.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Hahaha Rusty's slogan could be , " When that nut or bolt acts crusty, reach for a penetrating can of Rusty's :sunot:."

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Ok so onto a more serious note today, as I was doing the fluids the other day I noticed the intake tube is seriously coming apart... Is this a common thing for these Accords?

It has torn in half on the flex part that allows for movement and also the air flow tube coming from the valve cover completely separated.
Now granted I did not have much time to mend it before she had to leave for work, I had to grab the best nearest thing I could to fix it fast and it so happen to be some seriously fast drying gorilla super glue.
Thankfully everything held and is mated up back together nicely just to keep out dirt and anything else that could destroy the motor while it is sailing down the road getting from point A to point B.

I hate I had to do that on such short notice, but it is the lesser of the evils of what could possibly happen if I did not at least do something in the mean time.

So I'm in a situation where I either spend the $55-60 bucks on a new OEM intake arm for it to probably do the same thing later down the road... or do I spend some more and get her a aftermarket one with a re useable filter element...?

Connie

Reaction score
Ok so onto a more serious note today, as I was doing the fluids the other day I noticed the intake tube is seriously coming apart... Is this a common thing for these Accords?

It has torn in half on the flex part that allows for movement and also the air flow tube coming from the valve cover completely separated.
Now granted I did not have much time to mend it before she had to leave for work, I had to grab the best nearest thing I could to fix it fast and it so happen to be some seriously fast drying gorilla super glue.
Thankfully everything held and is mated up back together nicely just to keep out dirt and anything else that could destroy the motor while it is sailing down the road getting from point A to point B.

I hate I had to do that on such short notice, but it is the lesser of the evils of what could possibly happen if I did not at least do something in the mean time.

So I'm in a situation where I either spend the $55-60 bucks on a new OEM intake arm for it to probably do the same thing later down the road... or do I spend some more and get her a aftermarket one with a re useable filter element...?

It's happened on my green parts car too; someone tried to fix it with electrical tape.

I'd just get a short ram. I've been running one on mine for 3 years now (kinda; I have a piece of 3" exhaust pipe jammed into the end of the factory intake tube with a 3" cone clamped to it), and the washable filter is nice to have.

It also sounds awesome on the V6. It'll probably sound pretty sweet on the F23 too; there was a ridiculous amount of intake silencing stuff on Connie; she was almost silent before I took it all off and just went with the cone.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Well since it sounds like it is a common issue, might as well get one that is not going to crumble again and allowing foreign debris to be sucked into the intake track and thus into the cylinder walls where it would do the most damage and even possibly trash the motor.

There has always been a trade off for intakes and they vary by design, but they really need to match what the goal of the motor is for the most benefit in the long run.

The resonance box is what you are referring to on the OEM intake as "Silencing stuff".

Sound waves are pressure pulses in the air. Pistons pull in air on their intake stroke, creating a low pressure pulse in the air box. Then on the compression, power, and exhaust strokes the intake valve is closed and the air box is free to return to atmospheric pressure.
These alternating low pressure and normal pressure pulses are sound waves. The manufacturers needed some way to dampen them out and this is the end result of what we got on our Accords and just about every modern car.

If you decided to make substantial modifications to your engine, like high compression pistons, new cam shafts, and re-mapped ignition and fuel injection, you would very likely change the rpm at which the mid-range torque dip happens. In this case, if you can measure the new rpm on a dyno, you could use this information and a little mathematical information you can decide on a new snorkel length to change the air box resonance to match the new torque dip.

Connie

Reaction score
Well since it sounds like it is a common issue, might as well get one that is not going to crumble again and allowing foreign debris to be sucked into the intake track and thus into the cylinder walls where it would do the most damage and even possibly trash the motor.

There has always been a trade off for intakes and they vary by design, but they really need to match what the goal of the motor is for the most benefit in the long run.

The resonance box is what you are referring to on the OEM intake as "Silencing stuff".

Sound waves are pressure pulses in the air. Pistons pull in air on their intake stroke, creating a low pressure pulse in the air box. Then on the compression, power, and exhaust strokes the intake valve is closed and the air box is free to return to atmospheric pressure.
These alternating low pressure and normal pressure pulses are sound waves. The manufacturers needed some way to dampen them out and this is the end result of what we got on our Accords and just about every modern car.

If you decided to make substantial modifications to your engine, like high compression pistons, new cam shafts, and re-mapped ignition and fuel injection, you would very likely change the rpm at which the mid-range torque dip happens. In this case, if you can measure the new rpm on a dyno, you could use this information and a little mathematical information you can decide on a new snorkel length to change the air box resonance to match the new torque dip.

Resonance box/silencing stuff....same thing lol. I kinda figured you'd know what it's called and chime in hahaha.

And yeah, if you change all that stuff on an engine, it'll obviously change the resonance.

I suppose you COULD do the math and figure out what snorkel length cancels out the changed sound waves.

But who does all that performance stuff and then cares that their intake is too loud?

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Resonance box/silencing stuff....same thing lol. I kinda figured you'd know what it's called and chime in hahaha.

And yeah, if you change all that stuff on an engine, it'll obviously change the resonance.

I suppose you COULD do the math and figure out what snorkel length cancels out the changed sound waves.

But who does all that performance stuff and then cares that their intake is too loud?

I know I don't care about noise because that is simply a by product of creation itself , also intakes are quiet until you are on the throttle and even then it is still nothing compared to other city life noises you hear on a daily basis.

Hahahaha! I was only trying to throw a little science behind the reasoning in the explanation for the intake we were both trying to add to the thread :lol:

Connie

Reaction score
I know I don't care about noise because that is simply a by product of creation itself , also intakes are quiet until you are on the throttle and even then it is still nothing compared to other city life noises you hear on a daily basis.

Hahahaha! I was only trying to throw a little science behind the reasoning in the explanation for the intake we were both trying to add to the thread :lol:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to discredit the validity of what you had said, because you're definitely correct.

Just saying lol.

Too bad they spend all this time on engineering to keep the non-car-people happy.

They should have spent that time on making a slushbox that works properly instead. hahaha

But hey, it sure is quiet with that RESONANCE BOX!

See??? You helped me learn! :waytogo:

Last edited:

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
I did not think you were trying to discredit it at all tbh, you are just fine, I was just elaborating on the subject merely and I always appreciate your input or anyone else for that mater .

LOL @ the slush box comment, if they had even made a aftermarket one with all the short comings taken care of it would have flew off the shelves like hot cakes.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
You could always try going to car-part.com, and see if you could find 1 from a northern state. That's the 1 thing I dislike about Texas vehicles, the plastic has disintegrated and is falling apart. I've seen it happen on many vehicles, and with the automakers using more and more of it, I'd hope it would become more UV resistant.
I only mention trying to find 1 from the north, as I've got 3 cars here, and the plastic tube is still nice and soft and supple. With the under hood heat, added to the exterior heat (outside air temp), the plastic looses it's oils and dries out.

Last edited:

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
You could always try going to car-part.com, and see if you could find 1 from a northern state. That's the 1 thing I dislike about Texas vehicles, the plastic has disintegrated and is falling apart. I've seen it happen on many vehicles, and with the automakers using more and more of it, I'd hope it would become more UV resistant.
I only mention trying to find 1 from the north, as I've got 3 cars here, and the plastic tube is still nice and soft and supple. With the under hood heat, added to the exterior heat (outside air temp), the plastic looses it's oils and dries out.

That is a good idea too Rusty, I was thinking a bunch of extreme heat cycles had to have broken it down and made it fall apart the way it is. Thankfully the intake arm is in the bay so not so much U.V. damage, cause man U.V. damage is bad in Texas you are so very right about that, not a single car around here even last long with it's headlight lenses before they have just scaled over.

The heat is so intense here in the summer it just bakes the clear coats off of cars who cant wax it constantly or keep it in a garage, it's pretty much all I have seen my whole life down here.
It's like you wont have all the rust that up north has, but what the sun destroys almost feels like it evens out to the rust belt LOL.

Back