My retrofit project *Updated: 1-18-09*

shavedaccord

Reaction score
And so it begins. I have finally gathered up 98% of what I need to start my lighting project. Although it is not as ambitious as others, none the less it's still a huge project to take on for a first timer. With that being said, all information that will be displayed within this thread is by no means the best/sensible/easiest/smartest ways to go about it.

What I hope to achieve:
Black housing of the headlamps
Removal of the flutes in 98-02 Accord Headlamps (This portion of the project has been abandoned)
Retrofit of Lexus RX330 AFS projectors

Index of Project:
Opening the headlamps - http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showpost.php?p=312708&postcount=12
De-fluting of the lens (abandoned) - http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showpost.php?p=312708&postcount=13

I HIGHLY suggest you research the following, before attempting a retrofit:

• Opening the headlamps
    • Oven Method - This is my preferred method, as it's easier in my eyes. You do run the risk of melting your mounting tabs and lens. I found it very helpful to soak a large piece of cardboard in water to sit the headlamp on while in the oven
    • Heat gun method - I have not personally used this method, however it is very common.

• Projectors - There is literally 100+ different projectors that can be/are used for retrofit these days. You need to find which suits your needs, but most importantly FITS in your housings.

• Mounting of the projectors - There is more than a handful of ways to mount your projectors. It is VERY important that your projectors be mounted properly. I personally choose the JNC mounting method due to it's rotational adjustment ability after the projectors have been mounted.

• HIDplanet.com - Their forums are an AMAZING source of information regarding retrofitting and HID lighting in general. I you plan on doing a retrofit or even have one I HIGHLY suggest you join their forums.

Below is a list of items/materials I have gathered/chosen to complete this project. This is by no means a shopping list for your own project, as each are different. Also not all items that I need are listed, but I will try and keep it updated as I need.

The retrofit portion:

• 2 - Lexus RX330 AFS Projectors (Do not get NON-AFS) - $100
  • 2 - BMW e46 REPLICA shrouds (Much cheaper than OEM) - $70
  • 2 - TSX REPLICA clear lens (To replace semi-clear OEM RX lens) - $70
  • 2 - Phillips 85122+ d2s OEM HID capsules (Used, much cheaper) - $55
  • 2 - Matsu****a Gen3 OEM Ballasts w/ External Ignitors, pigtails & mounts (Brand new set) - $160
  • TheRetrofitSource.com single Xenon wiring harness - $25
  • TheRetrofitSource.com custom spacers for TSX replica lens - Free
  • Various 1/4-20 bolts, nuts & washers (Will get exact sizes/quantities after retro if done)
  • 1/4-20 Drill bit & tap - $5
  • 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar (Custom mounting brackets) - $5
  • JB Weld (Not pictured) - $3.95
  • High temp silicone for mounting shrouds (Not pictured) - $4
  • LocTite Blue (Not pictured) - $1.99
The Black housing/De-Fluting portion:

• 98-02 Accord OEM un-opened headlamps (Used, great condition) - $100
  • Dupli-Color Semi-Gloss Black engine enamel - $5.49
  • 2 - Dupli-Color Prep-Wipe packs - $1.49 ea.
  • 3M Rubbing Compound - $10.99
  • Meguiars PlastX - $7.99
  • Viking Diaper-Soft Polishing Cloths - $7.99
  • Various Sandpaper's
    • 400 grit 3M Automotive Wetordry - $3.99
    • 600 grit 3M Automotive Wetordry - $4.49
    • 800 grit 3M Automotive Wetordry - $3.99
    • 1000 grit 3M Automotive Wetordry - $3.99
    • 1500 grit Automotive Wetordry - $3.99
    • 2000 grit Automotive Wetordry - $4.29
Estimated Sub-Total of parts w/o shipping - $660.12
Like stated this is an estimate of what it may cost you to take on this exact project.

retroparts.jpg

The plan is to start the project tomorrow afternoon (1/17/2009). I am hoping to turn this thread into a very in depth, picture loaded DIY by the time I am finished. So keep an eye on this thread as it will be updated through the whole process from start to finish

I also wanted to add a small side note. All of my retrofit componets; projectors, ballasts, bulbs, spacers, TSX replica lens, wiring harness & shrouds were purchased from TheRetrofitSource.com Everything arrived is an extremely timely manner, in perfect condition as promised. I have yet to test the projectors or bulbs output, but if anything goes wrong I will be sure to post about it.

Last edited:

henreeezy xp

Reaction score
Re: My retrofit project

mucho props for this :bowdown: can't wait to get some retros for myself

ActNow

Reaction score

Man I got goose bumps of excitment, I can't wait to see the results something tells me its going to be awesome!:D

SykVSyx

Reaction score

Hey Darryl,

Hope all goes well with your retro. Appreciate you being so thorough with the details as well. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you.

*subscribed*

Derek

Max

Reaction score

I love your DIY's. They're very thorough and well thought out so *subscribed* and if this goes well for you I'm gonna do it using this DIY.

Back