Changing brake light function

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^It's easy man. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

FYI the electrical tape I applied back when I did this has stayed strong ever since, I've not touched and had no problems.

Mikey

Reaction score
Chris, I think I figured out my issue. Im covering too much of the dim side. I need to leave a tiny bit of it uncovered. Ill try it tonight and get back to you.

On another note though, this was working for a while then it came undone. Obviously, the tape wasnt holding up. 2 layers seems to be about the max amount you can put on before it starts jamming up in the socket. Any ideas or suggestions on what can be used in place of the tape whilst being thin enough and strong enough to hold? And, yes, the tape I was using was the good 3M stuff, lol. Ive thought about abrasive tape...:thinking:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Cool. I can't remember if I put the tape over the lead on the bulb, or covered the lead in the socket, or both. One my LED bulbs finally died so I'll be replacing it tonight and I'll let you know. Either way though, I am pretty sure I used just one piece of black electrical tape and it's done the job.

Mikey

Reaction score
Yeah. Im cutting a real thin strip, like 1/8" or less(just enought to cover the leads) and covering it that way. I went through a bunch of tape last night trying to get it to work and I couldnt, lol.

I'll try fixing my mistake and then ill see what you're doing and we'll go from there. I like the idea of wiring in a single-filament socket, but then it looks chopped up and you gotta clean it up and make it look all nice and I hate that.

Mikey

Reaction score
Fixed. For now. I covered the lead on that red wire side, only. We'll see how it holds up.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yeah covering the lead from the red wire should do it. I didn't get around to looking at mine, worked late. Ill get to it saturday or sunday. Post a photo of the tails in action.

Back