Thermostats- 170 vs ?

kman

Reaction score
Hi folks, over the summer, I dropped a new t-stat into my 99 accord 4 cyl. The old one worked fine, it just made sense since I was doing the TB. anyway, I put in a motorad failsafe 170 which is the OEM temp.

Now that its FREEZING outside- I am noticing the cabin doesn't heat up nearly as well as last winter- air blows luke warmish. noticably cooler than what I'm used to.

Is it okay to put in a higher temp stat on the engine? (2.3 vtec)

I have no way of knowing the temp of the old stat- but they make 180 for the car- so it's entirely possible it was higher than 170.

I am going to check the coolant level (to rule that out) this morning and report back- if coolant level is fine, I'm looking for reassurance a higher rated t-stat is okay?

thanks y'all

kman

Reaction score
do you think a 180 stat would help?? just checked the coolant, it's full

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
The thermostat is one part where I refuse to get anything other than the factory part. They're only around $20, I think less.

Actually now that I think about it, the car I just bought is doing the same thing with the heat. I wonder if they put in an aftermarket thermostat...

CokeZero

Reaction score
Warm your car up and grab your hoses going to your heater core. feel for temp differences.

Hows your radiator cap?

Was stop leak ever put into your car that you know of?

Check the blend doors inside to see if its working correctly/fully opening

kman

Reaction score
Warm your car up and grab your hoses going to your heater core. feel for temp differences.

Hows your radiator cap?

Was stop leak ever put into your car that you know of?

Check the blend doors inside to see if its working correctly/fully opening

no stop leak- never on this car

how do i check the blend doors???

Back