About to replace my heater core...tips.

Connie

Reaction score
The time has finally come that I can no longer avoid replacing the heater core in Connie, 2002 V6 Coupe with 458120km.

Flushed it a few months ago (for the third time) and got maybe 2 months of good heat before it deteriorated to the point of not being able to fully defrost the windows anymore. At this mileage, its probably just best to suck it up if I want to keep driving this heap. There were big chunks of corrosion stuck in it last time, and looking at the new core on the bench in front of me, there is no way I am ever gonna get the original one properly clean if there's more of that in there.

Been warned about the difficulty if this job, so looking forwards to any tips or tricks from anyone else who has done it. This is my daily and I need it to work after; managed to get 2 days off to get this done, so hopefully it's enough time.

Anything I will need other than tools, coolant, and the heater core itself?

I am not looking forward to tackling this, but at least I have a nice warm garage to use.

Connie

Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

So far I have the old heater core out, new one in, blower box, ac stuff and that big metal structure back together, and the steering column back to its home. as well as all of the underhood stuff completed.

So just dash cover, airbag, cluster, console and a few more interior bits to sort.

All I can say about this job is it is not for the weak of heart. This is definitely up there on the list of most annoying frustrating repairs I have ever taken on. I better have heat when this is done (and hopefully today...)

rafayzq

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2001 Accord 2.3l.

I am hoping you took some pictures to help others like me.

Did you end up getting the same heat as when new?

Connie

Reaction score
Yep, got enough heat to have to turn it down even when it's -20.
Took me 16 hours to finish it though. The crossmember behind the dash as well as the dash itself and all the wiring create quite the nuisance. Make sure you keep track of all of the wiring and fasteners. And good luck lol.

Cut the old core in half when I was done and there was no way any amount of flushing would have ever made it work properly again. SCALY!

Back