Sometimes not much power until vtec kicks in.

jayhonda1981

Reaction score
Hello. I recently purchsed 98 accord 4cylinder auto. How it drives is really weird. Also bit difficult to explain. When i first start it up, it drives normally even aircon is on. But later on when aircon is on, until vtec kicks in, it doesnt have much power. When i turn off aircon it drives normally instantly. But sometimes even though i turn off aircon it acts exactly same. What is possibly wrong with this car?

나의 LG-F320L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It's 4cyl and auto, so.... Is the car bogging down/stalling, running rough, or something? Is there a CEL?

jayhonda1981

Reaction score
No check engine light. Seems like even though im pressing gas pedal, acts like rolling on drive mode. Not stalling mode either.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Maybe it's time for a tune up. New plugs, wires, dizzy cap?

Like said here. It's a 4 banger automatic so you don't have much power anyways.

Also what rpm do you think vtec is engaging? My F23 vtec kicks in yo at like 2700 rpm and it's a noticeable little bump in power.

jayhonda1981

Reaction score
Maybe it's time for a tune up. New plugs, wires, dizzy cap?

Like said here. It's a 4 banger automatic so you don't have much power anyways.

Also what rpm do you think vtec is engaging? My F23 vtec kicks in yo at like 2700 rpm and it's a noticeable little bump in power.
I changed new spark plugs so far. I know not much power but its undriveable when it happens. I will check wires and distributor later. It seems like lose connection. Happens only sometimes. If something is broken or faulty it should always not work in my opinion. I cant check all connections but if someone narrow down what area i should look into, will be great.

jayhonda1981

Reaction score
Checked battery cable and they were slightly lose and corroded. Cleaned them up and tightened. So far drove 10kms and its ok. Hopefully stays that way lol.

jayhonda1981

Reaction score
Checked battery cable and they were slightly lose and corroded. Cleaned them up and tightened. So far drove 10kms and its ok. Hopefully stays that way lol.

****. Symptom came bk. But took longer this time. Anyone can suggest something? I noticed no thermostat and fan is running all the time. I am staying at philippines where weather is always hot so previous owner must connected it that way so it wont overheat. Takes awhile to warm up.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
No thermostat in the car? I would first of all put a new one in there, it's there for a reason even if you live in a hot climate, I live in a very hot summer climate myself (over 100*)and use thermostats that are the OEM temp rates. You do have a choice to run a colder thermostat, but that's normally not needed until you are modifying a car.

The reason your fan is running all the time is because there is no thermostat to block the flow of coolant to the fan switch and once it's hot it will constantly stay on, without the thermostat, your coolant never has time to stay in the radiator to cool long enough before dumping the cold load of coolant back into the motors block.
That's the job of the thermostat and why it opens and closes to certain temps and it also allows the motor to warm up properly before pushing that first cold load of coolant from the radiator to the block.

Back