What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to add a pic.
f602c014fb4addc241a0f064cf247215.jpg

Since it's raised, the only option is wet sanding the touch up paint. Depending on your experience with sanding and polishing with a machine, I would not recommend doing anything to it at this point if you don't have prior experience with the above.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
How to remove tree sap using solvents

What is tree sap? Tree sap is a sticky substance seeping out of trees which in turn falls onto a vehicles surface if parked within it's vicinity. There are many methods/techniques to removing tree sap, but I am going to cover using solvents for this topic. Any type of solvent such as paint thinner, mineral sprits, acetone, etc.

Step 1: Identify the surface area of the sap

Use your eyes and see which areas are covered with tree sap. Different surface areas require different approaches. It may be on paint, glass, soft top, vinyl top, and plastic.

Step 2: Identify it's hardness with touch

Use your finger and touch the tree sap to determine how old/how long it's been on the surface of the vehicle. The softer/fresher, the easier it will be to remove, and vice versa.

Step 3: Choose a method and attack

I chose to use solvents in my approach.

Step 4: Inspect for further damage caused by tree sap

The tree sap I'm working on is on the paint surface. The tree sap feels hard to the touch which means it's been sitting for a while.

I used a hair blower to heat up the sap for 2 mins at a close range, but don't hold it in one spot for a long time. Use a left to right sweeping motion and keep it a couple inches away. Then I grabbed a waffle weave towel and applied some paint thinner to the corner of the rag and let it sit on the sap for 20 secs. Afterwards, carefully scratch at it with the towel to break it apart. Rinse and repeat.

After about 3mins I finally broke through the tree sap and it shattered in pieces.

Afterwards inspect to see if the tree sap did any damage to the paint. I made some scratches during the process so I hand compounded and polished the scratches. Other than that I did not see any further damage.

I apologize for the late delay and the quality of the pictures. I used my old phone and not my DSLR.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Tried out some mothers wheel cleaner this weekend. Apparently it was not made for polished wheels (specifically the lip is polished). I should have read the bottle closer :banghead: Well needless to say I spent about 2 hours polishing my wheels back to a shine (the best I could do by hand).

On a better side, I also purchased the turtle wax JET BLACK, Tire Acrylic kit. Pretty neat stuff. It came with a tire cleaner, which I scrubbed in with a sponge <worked well. The tinted black acrylic tire dressing (which had the consistency of ink) some placstic gloves and an applicator sponge. It claims to last for "Months" to which I will update after such time. It dries to a hard coating (similar feel to old rubber tires that are hard and slick) Im impressed so far (did 3 coats of acrylic)...

PICS

Mothers wheel cleaner issues (cleaned the painted surface well)
Polished lips are a nono with this product.
wPN9xPl.jpg

OUCH!
6QRgjyG.jpg

After hand polish...
7j1BuRi.jpg

My arm is sore :lol:
BuV6n6S.jpg

After three coats of the Turtle Wax Jet Black Tire Acrylic. 10 min of dry time between coats (didn't get a picture of the tire cleaners performance...)
ziHCBZT.jpg

Its a nice matte black (which I like) Not too shiney and no oil sling all over the car!
Will update after a month.

Edit: If you purchase the acrylic tire kit, I could see it getting messy if you're not careful. The "ink" comes out fast and could stain clothes and such. It wipes off of non-porous surfaces well with a damp cloth, i.e. paint and wheels.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice review of 2 good OTC products AJ. I did a review on the same tire coating product as well with almost the same results as yours. I'm impressed with the Turtle Wax tire coating.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why Chrome Finish wheels are not real chrome

l wanted to clear the misconception that some people might see a wheel in chrome finish and think it's real chrome. The chrome finish is actually a "very" thin plating. If not maintained properly and cleaned on a weekly basis the finish can be damaged quite quickly. I have a couple of pictures to demonstrate what can and will happen if neglected.

Pics of wheel being used as an example

Medium stage of damage. A lot of pitting from brake dust and heat. This is unrepairable unless brought to a wheel refinish shop.

End result. The thin plating chipped off.

Thanks for viewing. Welcome any comments or input.

Ham Solo

Reaction score
How to remove tree sap using solvents

Awesome stuff! Seems very simple so I will be trying this tomorrow hopefully! No worries on the late reply either, as I picked up a new car this past week so my attention has been turned towards that. The 6th gen will be getting some love now though. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Was wowed by a new product last night after I washed the car. I don't usually put much stock in the advice I get from Autozone, but this guy was right on with this recommendation. It's called the Absorber, and it is incredible...I will never go back to a traditional chamois.

It was super absorbent, and it's constructed so that when you wring it out, no matter what parts of the sheet are being wrung, all the water just drips right out. It was easy to use, and left no streaking, even on windows. $10.

51xYh2nkcyL._SY300_.jpg

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Was wowed by a new product last night after I washed the car. I don't usually put much stock in the advice I get from Autozone, but this guy was right on with this recommendation. It's called the Absorber, and it is incredible...I will never go back to a traditional chamois.

It was super absorbent, and it's constructed so that when you wring it out, no matter what parts of the sheet are being wrung, all the water just drips right out. It was easy to use, and left no streaking, even on windows. $10.

51xYh2nkcyL._SY300_.jpg

But you werent Sham-wowed. haha

jLVT61D.jpg

I've seen these absorbers on the shelves but never tried it. I still have a brand new shamwow that I got as a gift, haven't even tried that yet.
Have you used shamwow before? How do the two compare?

Back