Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

Erik123456789

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune....

hell yesssssssss, im so glad to hear you got it running man.. about time! sounds like your back on track. :D

hotaccord243

Reaction score

hell yesssssssss, im so glad to hear you got it running man.. about time! sounds like your back on track. :D

Thanks Erik, i'm super pumped too!
In the next week I will go back flush the coolant and refill it and bleed it.
I also want to get an AEM wideband air/fuel gauge prior to tuning and double check the timing once more.
Lastly, I'm waiting on new license plate tabs in the mail before taking it for a drive, fill up on E85 more and see how it runs under load.

But i'm getting super close to a tune though!

hotaccord243

Reaction score

playing catch up on some bills so could be a week before i flush the coolant, then want to save up for an a/f gauge here soon, so I will keep the updates coming as they come. Sucks i have to wait a bit.....

Erik123456789

Reaction score

Thanks Erik, i'm super pumped too!
In the next week I will go back flush the coolant and refill it and bleed it.
I also want to get an AEM wideband air/fuel gauge prior to tuning and double check the timing once more.
Lastly, I'm waiting on new license plate tabs in the mail before taking it for a drive, fill up on E85 more and see how it runs under load.

But i'm getting super close to a tune though!

alright sounds good! Ive been thinking about getting a wideband too since gonna need it eventually. Im gonna start tuning some day haha, just need a beater I can learn on.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

This weekend I will be doing a full coolant flush, put my new tabs on and fill it up with E85 for a test drive also.

Still saving for that wideband also.... Hopefully soon get one but we'll see.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Well, got the coolant system all flushed, re-filled, and bled yesterday.

Still cant seem to get the timing right however. I set the timing to 0* and advance and retard to make sure the timing mark matches it, click okay, it reverts back to the timing map, but for some reason the timing map and the timing do not match and is not within range when idleing. I adjusted it probably a dozen times to get it dead on and still not quite right.

I even double checked the ignition map to see if maybe I accidentally changed it during the adjustments for fuel for E85 (thinking it was the fuel map and it was the ignition map) but it appears to have never changed at all.... It still runs slightly rough but runs fine. Probably just need to bring it into a tuner for adjustemnts prior to the new tune for more power?

akoutmos

Reaction score

As soon as you leave the "set ignition wizard" in aempro, the ecu will start to use the actual ignition map. Unless your cells read 0 then the timing light is not really helpful. What do you mean by is "not within range when idling"? How is the air/fuel ratio during idle? What kind of funky feeling are you getting while idling?

hotaccord243

Reaction score

As soon as you leave the "set ignition wizard" in aempro, the ecu will start to use the actual ignition map. Unless your cells read 0 then the timing light is not really helpful. What do you mean by is "not within range when idling"? How is the air/fuel ratio during idle? What kind of funky feeling are you getting while idling?

Well I verify with a timing light with what the computer is telling me the timing is and what the timing actually is and it is correct. The timing and the timing map outputs (in the display fields adjacent to the graph in AEMPro) are not matching however. The timing is right at 14* but the map is telling me slightly higher (if i remember correctly about 15-16?) and when I say within range I mean the "cross-hairs" are hovering outside of the correct or green range in display adjacent to the ignition map.

Here's some pictures of where I am talking about. They are off-line pictures since i'm at work but you get the idea from these either way.
The ignition timing/ignition map levels not matching up:
Ignitionmaptiming.jpg

The crosshair location that i am speaking about:
IgnitionRange.jpg

The air/fuel is correct. The funky feeling is just a rough vibrating idle. No funky sounds or anything just the standard noises coming from the block. When I raise the rpm's the vibrating get's slightly worse in accordance to rpms. I have checked the physical timing of the motor too many times to count and there's nothing wrong there. Could it be a balance shaft not aligned correctly? (There's only one way to set it with a screwdriver though for the rear).

Last edited:

cantafordaccord

Reaction score

reading the vibration issue I thought about the balance shaft as well.

Back