Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Update 10/28/13 - See last page. Talked to ACT about the clutch and their response is on the last page

Just thought i'd start another thread versus continuing to post in my ride thread.... lol

Went to the tuner today to up the boost and found out the engine coolant temper sensor was bad, and a bolt fell off the turbine/downpipe connection (5-bolt turbines suck. Should have gone V-band). So i decided to fix that prior to going any further due to air/fuel maps would be off either way from the EMS and the cluster reading different coolant temps.

I had to pay the guy for 45min worth of work, but actually well worth it. I basically paid him to strap/unstrap the car, tell me about some sensors that i had no idea were bad, and have a 1 on 1 conversation asking anything I want. Well worth it in the long run.

What I need to do:
-Picked up the coolant temp sensor right after the appointment. Gotta replace it and make sure it's just the sensor and not the wiring. If it's the wiring I will be re-wiring it directly to the EMS.
-picking up the bolt tomorrow. and installing it ASAP.

I also decided that I am going to run E85 in my car now. Forget pump gas, it limits you to all he**. Driving around now to get all the 93octane gas out for now. When the light goes out, i'll pull into my garage and run it empty into a gas tank. Then, fill it up with E85 and compensate for the change in fuel with the EMS fuel map to allow me to at least drive around without boost to get to the tuner for the re-tune.

Should be setting up another tuning appointment as soon as I know an ETA of when i'm done with all this and troubleshooting. After this I will have no problems pushing some serious numbers. Prob just limited by the turbo itself and MAYBE the walbro 255lph in line fuel pump.

Update to come soon...:beer:

Last edited:

akoutmos

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune....

best of luck with the e85 tune. should run super sexy with e85. Only prob with e85 is that you gotta pump a lot of it to maintain the proper air to fuel ratio.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

BadgerType said:

Ha-ha. Thanks Badger.

akoutmos said:
best of luck with the e85 tune. should run super sexy with e85. Only prob with e85 is that you gotta pump a lot of it to maintain the proper air to fuel ratio.

That is true, you do use a lot more to meet the needs of the motor. But it is almost a $.80-$1 cheaper per gallon than premium (in MN). So overall it's really no change in gas prices. Maybe a little more expensive overall, but when you only use your car in the summer... its not too big of a sacrafice... and plus the only feasible way that the higher power numbers are reachable.

I've been debating it for a while now actually....

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

is there anything we have to do to our cars to run e85? like fuel lines and ****. I've been considering it myself but I don't know anyone running it on our cars, plus my car's still a DD and e85 hates the cold. If there isn't anything that needs to be changed out to run it I might run it sometime later down the road. definitely subscribed.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

- Bolt replaced before work. 1 down. When the motor gets cold i'll go back out and tighten it up real good...

-Was going to do the water temp sensor this morning but need more tools (at home) to remove the distributor cap to get to it. Should happen today and see what happens. If not i'll have to re-route the wire directly to the AEM to avoid trouble shooting the wires....

you need some rather large injectors and a fuel pump. The walbro 255 should be capable of around 500whp. I have 1000cc injectors from precision which should be able to handle what i'm looking for right now to max out my current turbo. Then you need a tuning setup that you are able to tune the fuel with to increase the percentage of fuel to accomodate that extra fuel usage to compensate for the a/f ratio required.

The only problem with the E85 is that when it gets cold i have heard it is a PITA because like you said, E85 does not like cold weather. I recently got a second winter car so i'm not worried about the cold weather...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

There's always something that comes up at the last second, so essentially it is good that you got the information you needed to prevent mistakes for the power tune. E85 also interests me, but the fact that it isn't offered at every gas station regularly deters me from converting to it. Eventually I'd like to have two tunes, one for E85 and another for 91 pump. Congrats on getting that little stuff fixed, and in for real tune results!

Have you considered installing water methanol either in addition to, or instead of running E85? I don't know enough about it to compare one versus the other in details, but I know the productive effect is the same from both methods, to varying degrees.

Last edited:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

in my opinion running meth injection is just a band-aid for a car that should be running a higher octane fuel. Simple is safe and if your tuned to run on meth injection thats just one more thing you gotta keep an eye on. Cause if you run out of meth in the tank and don't realize it your pretty much ****ed if thats the only thing keeping your engine from detonating.

Running e85 would be the better solution in my opinion as long as its readily available.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score

well, running out of meth would be an issue if you were tuned to need it. otherwise, it is a crutch but it is a great mod to have for a weekend car

besides, if you run out of meth, just pick up some washer fluid available at 99% of gas stations and your all set.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Tightened the bolt up. Looking to do the sensor in the next day or two... I'm in no rush due to me having a half tank of gas still in the car....

I have thought about it, but E85 sounds like a great option cause i only run my car in summer months in MN...

The only option is to run both if i were to do it...

That is true, unless your tuned to need it, it's not really a problem. Plus like you said also, windshield wiper fluid works wonders also if your in a bind.

Back