DIY - 98-02 Accord Valve Adjustment (4 cylinder, VTEC specific)

swollen_cu

Reaction score
what are the benefits of vavle adjustment? I have 155k on my odo and havent done it once. will it increase my MPG? cause right now im only getting about 19-20. (I4)

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
for the most part it will just audibly reduce any ticking noise you've got going on.

I suppose it could improve fuel efficiency up to standard if it wasn't already at that point.

AustinGT

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just signed up to the forum and I saw this DIY and did it this weekend. My car was running great (and still is) after the adjustment but now I am getting crazy lifter tick when I did not get any, or hardly any before. When I did the adjustment there was hardly any play in the lifters and after I gaped them to the recommended specs there was play. I was thinking about going back in and narrowing the gaps down so that I can get rid of the noise. Any comments or ideas why they are so loud now and if narrowing the lash will hurt anything?

paypalbid

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just signed up to the forum and I saw this DIY and did it this weekend. My car was running great (and still is) after the adjustment but now I am getting crazy lifter tick when I did not get any, or hardly any before. When I did the adjustment there was hardly any play in the lifters and after I gaped them to the recommended specs there was play. I was thinking about going back in and narrowing the gaps down so that I can get rid of the noise. Any comments or ideas why they are so loud now and if narrowing the lash will hurt anything?

Not sure what you did or didn't do. If you followed everything the instructions said including waiting for the engine to completely cool down then you are ok.

My car did the same thing. My car has 278,000 miles and I have done numerous valve adjustments on it. My setting is 0.26mm for Intake and 0.30mm for Exhaust. My setting is 1 feeler gauge out of the recommended range but my car is older and it got rid of the noise and performs fine for the last 25,000 miles.

kashmeister

Reaction score
Not sure what you did or didn't do. If you followed everything the instructions said including waiting for the engine to completely cool down then you are ok.

My car did the same thing. My car has 278,000 miles and I have done numerous valve adjustments on it. My setting is 0.26mm for Intake and 0.30mm for Exhaust. My setting is 1 feeler gauge out of the recommended range but my car is older and it got rid of the noise and performs fine for the last 25,000 miles.

how did you figure out where your "new" values were?

NASOHC

Reaction score
You guys may want to check out this thread. I haven't installed them yet but most likely, it'll be the problem.

Back