THE Intake Review Thread

Milton58rr

Reaction score
Brand & model: Weapon R Dragon intake
Price paid and from where: $186 carid.com
Pros: looks good, sounds great, increased throttle response, easy to clean filter, great price.
Cons: Piping its self doesn't stay clean, no real gains (expected)
Final verdict: Great product would definitely recommend to anyone

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Brand & model: AEM short ram intake (red)
Price paid and where: about $138 from autoanything.com (after I put in a coupon that's on their site)
Pros: Looks good, brand, sounds good from like 2500-4500, gives a little "pull" but no real gains.
Cons: Not as much "pull" as I was hoping, possibly a slight loss on the very top end.
Final verdict: I would definitely recommend it. Price isn't too bad for the brand and looks. But an intake is an intake and this does it about as good as a short ram can.

intel0116

Reaction score
Brand & model: AEM v2 for v6

Price paid and from where: 280, ebay.

Pros: deep agresive sound, TB responce is greatly improved through out the power band, my rpm's rev higher, with out it on i was hiting 5900 rpm's at the best when i floored it (auto tragic trany for you =/ dogh! ), with it on i hit 6700 rpm's when i floor it now. i dont have dyno mesurements, but i do feal an increase in HP and TQ, call me crazy if you want.

Cons: kinda low to the floor so you have to be extra carefull around water cuz of hydrolock, but as an added protection i put an outerwears hydrolock gaurd on it, i no it wont stop hydrolocking, but when its raining cats and dogs it does help alot. and it does cost alot brand new.

Final verdict: the best CAI on the market (IMO) which is based off others i have seen/heard, and worth the money if you want that little extra out of your car.

Last edited:

TheMole

Reaction score
Brand & model: Top Fuel Power Chamber Short Ram Intake - 4 cyl model

Price paid and from where: $70 picked up from advancespeeshop.com

Pros: Slightly better throttle response on the butt dyno. Quiet like stock, but sounds throaty when you step on it. One section of the pipe is real carbon fiber. Great price and easy installation.

Cons: Not a fan of the red silicone hose (prefer black), but only used a snippet of it to connect to the oem breather hose. Marketing description seems gimmicky/farfetched.

Final verdict: Would recommend @ this price just for the sound/aesthetic appearance.

Pic
TFIntake.jpg

Last edited:

doubleclutch

Reaction score
Brand & model: AEM SRI Convert to CAI
Price paid and from where: 155 (AEM) 25 (CAI Piping, ebay)
Pros: Sounds amazing at VTEC crossover and solid pull at top end
Cons: no gains at low end, it sucks in heat until ur going fast enough to get cold air into the engine bay. its not a "true" CAI but its better than an SRI
Final verdict: It was worth it since the extra piping was so cheap and cutting the pipe was a breeze. and it sounds amazing

WP_001637.jpg

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Brand & Model: AEM Short Ram for V6
Price Paid & From Where: $123 shipped new from AmazonDOTcom (usually about $225)
Pros: Easy installation, looks good in engine bay, nice paint and color (red) crazy sound difference which is amazing, slightly increased throttle response, little bit of a power gain all throughout the band, reduced chance of hydrolock, reusable filter, cheap especially at the price I paid.
Cons: It can get heat soaked since it's inside the bay unlike a CAI. At full retail price the power gains may not be worth it. But it does sound damn good.
Final Verdict: Great intake and really satisfied. Love the aggressive sound. Would definitely recommend if you can get it at that price.

Last edited:

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Brand & model: K & N Drop-In Air Filter

Price paid and from where: $40.94 from Amazon[.]com

Pros: Reusable, Million-Mile-Warrenty, quiet, and easy installation

Cons: Your hands get oily when installing it, since it's not a dry filter.

Final verdict: Great filter for ppl who is looking to replace the stock filter, and maintaining its quietness. It supposedly increases 1 ~ 4 hp, but you won't be able to feel the difference. Changes in mpg is yet to be determined.

TB13

Reaction score
Brand & model: eBay SRI

Price paid and from where: $38 shipped + $10 in mounting hardware

Pros: Sounds great, nice and deep over 3500RPM, looks fantastic

Cons: Didn't come with any mounting hardware and doesn't make my car any faster

Final verdict: This is the first upgrade I have done to my car and I don't regret it at all. For $50 you can't go wrong

Ghetto mounting FTW, very solid BTW

ChargerFan17

Reaction score
Brand and model: Spyder Cold Air Intake System
Price paid and from where: $62 including CA sales tax from eBay
Pros: Looks better than the stock one, Quiet until over 2000 RPM then makes a very deep sound. CARB certified. Can be used ethier as a Short Ram or a Cold Air Intake.
Cons: Primary pipe wasn't cut right and came with many small dents. Doesn't fit right at all. Had to cut the rubber boot that connects to the throttle body with a muffler cutter and had to cut one of the nipples on the pipe to keep other hoses from kinking. The included filter is the worst I have every seen in my life. Makes a VERY bad sound at idle, compared it to a loud kitchen sink. Horrible customer service from the seller, zipmotors.
Final verdict: The only option for a cheap intake that is CARB certified, Short Ram or Cold Air, on eBay that I have seen. Will have to buy a new filter. If you do not want to modify this part for it to fit, then don't buy it.

Ty92x

Reaction score
Brand & model: Injen Air Intake - RD Race Division Intake System

Price paid and from where: $234.39 thmotorsports

Pros: Sounds Great and can be converted to short ram if wanted

Cons: Feels like a loss of bottom in power

Final verdict: Definitely a great sounding intake but the loss of bottom end power is significant and noticeable I do feel like I might have gained some decent upper end power though and it is nice to be able to convert to short ram if i Wanted

Back