DIY: Plasti-Dipping Side Window Chrome Trimmings

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Re: (Update 10/27/2012) DIY Plasti-Dipping Side Window Chrome Trimmings

Thanks. ;)

White6GAV6

Reaction score

Great right up! Looked over this before I messed with this early, a lot of good information and will give you the best outcome. The mirrors look pretty nice how they are now, makes them unique.

Dat99accord

Reaction score

Dam I tried this but it came out crappy for me :sad:

Only thing I did different was that I didn't take off the side mirrors. (That may have caused it to look the way it is). But overall thanks for this DIY

+1 Rep from me :]

White6GAV6

Reaction score

Same here :sad: I tried it on the bottom molding of the front window yesterday and it came out nice, but today I did all of it and it didn't out too well. Guess it's back to the blackout tape.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

Great right up! Looked over this before I messed with this early, a lot of good information and will give you the best outcome. The mirrors look pretty nice how they are now, makes them unique.
Thanks! My original plan was to replace with NHB ones, but I figured they were not gonna be so cheap. My plan is fulfilled, and I'm certainly glad with my decision.

Only thing I did different was that I didn't take off the side mirrors. (That may have caused it to look the way it is). But overall thanks for this DIY

+1 Rep from me :]
You're certainly welcome, and thank you for the rep. I figure you were having tough time applying the job at the bottom of your mirrors. You can always redo the work, which is good thing about this product, and GL with your skills when you redo them (I'd suggest take your mirrors off next time ;)).

Same here :sad: I tried it on the bottom molding of the front window yesterday and it came out nice, but today I did all of it and it didn't out too well. Guess it's back to the blackout tape.
So, your bottom window trim came out nice--congrats!--, but not the rest--bummer...-- Can you tell me how & why exactly it didn't come out so well? Were you able to take your mirrors off? If you worked under the proper environment (what the product label says) and followed my steps, I'm pretty confident that you could have gotten the result like mine though...

White6GAV6

Reaction score

Well when I did the bottom window trim it was warmer out than it was when I tried the other trim. I'm thinking that's part of the reason it didn't come out as well, I'm not too sure though.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

I see. If you ever decided to re-do them, try to avoid working when it's cold outside. However, also avoid direct sunlight and make sure the surface is dry enough to touch before you apply another coat.

White6GAV6

Reaction score

Thanks for the tips. And yeah I think it was a mixture of it being cooler outside and didn't wait long enough between a coats. I might give it another try, it's just that the whole masking part is a major PITA haha

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

No problem at all. I hear you. If you apply your best patience, I'm sure you'll be happy with your results. Gool luck, man. ;)

P.S. For your reference, in case you mess up the applied surface, there is a way to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T0jEvxxTzE

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Updated OP with some corrections (wordings). Hopefully it's more thorough than before.

Back