SEV Head Balancer (engine performance enhancer)

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out where else to post, so I had to make this thread...

Brand & model: SEV Head Balancer V-1
This item is, and all of their products are, made by the mixture of "natural ore" & "dozens of different metals", which helps to rejuvenate a physical matter. (Think of it as a car wearing a "Phiten neckless" lol.) According to SEV, "Since 1978, we have been heavily comitted to R&D of our patented technology -SEV-. It has been used by over 400,000 clients in various categories such as Health care, Automobile, and Environment..." Their technology is patened over US, Canada, Japan, Korea, EU, and Taiwan, meaning that it is well-trusted.

The sole purpose of this thing is to enhance the performance of the engine. It is done by reducing the engine-loss (frictions) and metabolizing the heat of the engine. There are two kinds to choose from: Black one is to raise the low-end torque & Red one is for the high-end torque. You can also mount a combination of both to enhance the full RPM range. I chose two black ones, because I have hated the J30A1's characteristics of the low-end torque being weaker (perhaps the weakest) among the other competitive V6 engines in the market around the year of 2000.

Price paid and from where: "16,800 Yen (~$170.00)" X 2 from Autobacs in Japan

Pros: Now, my car is AT. I usually let the gear shift at 2.5 ~ 2.75 RPM, and 3.0 RPM when flowing with the traffic. After having the Head Balancers, my car allows me to shift the gear 0.25 RPM less, under the same acceleration of the aforementioned way of driving.

There is this road I commute myself to work everyday. It has a sharp turn, with the speed limit being 25mph, and it becomes a straight line with a slight incline after the curve for 100 yards or so. I always get into this curve in 35mph with no brake. After the curve, it shifts down to the 3nd gear. And then it shifts into the 4th gear but, it only does when the speed goes above 35mph. Now, with the balancers on my engine, the car shifts into the 4th gear at 33 mph, which it has never occurred before, and I was amazed to "visually confirm" the difference. The acceleration feels very smooth. I have less time-lags between shifts, and the RPM drops down smoothly when changing the shift rather than staying itself for a split second, which is the biggest change of a feeling after having the balancers. And, the engine became AMAZINGLY QUIET, which is what I realy like to keep / make my car this way. What I am surprised is that I used to be able to feel the difference between driving alone & driving w/ my wife in the car, but I don't feel the difference ever since I got these.

Cons: Expensive. Hard to find outside of Japan.

Final verdict: This is a nice way of improving the performance of a vehicle by keeping the car stock and quiet. I was skeptical for years until I read all of the positive reviews in Japan, but the improvement is real, and it is definately not the placebo effect. Oh, Honda... Why didn't you make J30's this way...

Pics:
DSC_00142_zps19287186.jpg

IMAG2501_zpsf6004a02.jpg

It is mounted by the heavy-duty-heat-resistant-tape at the bottom of the balancer. I was kind of skeptical about the durability of the adhesives, but they are solid as a rock under the extreme temperature.

IMAG2502_zps5eefc9a0.jpg

One balancer is needed for I-4 engine, and two balancers are required for V-6 engines.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Interesting, would be curious to see how it measures up "Before/After" on a dyno.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Interesting, would be curious to see how it measures up "Before/After" on a dyno.
Yeah, dynoing will be very interesting. However, I'd hate to remove the balancers, if I ever dyno the Before-Spec, since they're firmly mounted by the special adhesive tapes that came with them...

very interesting!
Thanks for reading!

drax89

Reaction score
How did you navigate through the site to order these ? I did a search and all site are in Japanese ?

Dukebb23

Duke Blue Devils
Reaction score
He is Japanese so pretty easy for him to figure these things out.

He actually picked them up while he was in Japan though. So I am not sure if you can find these online or not.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
How did you navigate through the site to order these ? I did a search and all site are in Japanese ?

You can go to global.rakuten.com and search "SEV V-1" or "SEV V-2".

Rakuten is one of the biggest Japanese online store next to Amazon JP, and the place mentioned above is their international store for customers (like us) to make a purchase.

I bought these when I went to Japan, but you can buy them online from them. Perhaps, this is the only place. One thing is that their description on the product is kindda funny in English. I think it's b/c Rakuten's sellers who write the product description in English. I guess we can't be complaining a lot tho, b/c they sell rare products internationally. Hopefully you won't be thinking that they're sketchy place to shop online or anything lol.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I love the currency comparison, just sounds so funny when people say it.

Interesting. How do these things work? Are they just weights? You said you noticed a change in the shifting, which is indicative of the transmission, but these are placed on the IM?

agginline86

Reaction score
if it's all about charge, I fail to see how a magnet would change anything
especially through the IM
as a scientist it makes no sense to me lol

Back