Playing Burned Cds in Stock Headunit. What brand CD-R??

xxpatxx

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a brand CD-R that my stock 98 cd player will actually read? I have had issues with it not reading any of my older burned cds. Then I tried a friends cd and it didnt spit it right back out but took a good 5 minutes before it started playing music. :wtf1: As Im not planning on installing my headunit until i sell my other car (prob next spring) I was hoping somone would have some advice on what has worked for them. Ive read online that every company makes their cds with different chemicals and that some older cd players will only read certain brands. SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM THE RADIO!!!!

xxpatxx

Reaction score
Kool. THanks again. LashLee.. I tried the maxell and those are the ones that play but take like 5 mins to play and another 5 min any time you change a song. Any reason the program that Im using to burn them would effect anything? Ive never had any problems before.

Namboyz

Reaction score
really? i thought all disc's are the same? isnt it just the format at which you burn the files? correct me if im wrong cause thats just my thought.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
not always, sometimes discs themselves can be problematic with certain devices.

like they favor one to others, it's weird.

xxpatxx

Reaction score
really? i thought all disc's are the same? isnt it just the format at which you burn the files? correct me if im wrong cause thats just my thought.

Actually from what I have read every manufacturer of CD-Rs are different. Store bought cds actually have the information stored in grooves on the cd. When you make a home made cd, your computer doesn’t make grooves on the cd but actually uses a laser to "burn" dye thats on the Cd. This dye then trick the cd player by looking like reflection of a groove and then you get music. Only problem is every company that makes the cd-r's had to create their own dye as the other companies had already patent it. For some odd reason some (mostly older) cd players can only read certain brand dye. And of course the brand I used doesnt work in my car. I believe format only matters if your using your burning program to make a data disk of MP3s and the like. Again this is just what I have read and I am by no means an expert.

Back