Engine Theory, Build, Etc Discussion.

Mikey

Reaction score
Where do you start? Lol. First off, when it comes to engines, Im not a total noob but Im not afraid to admit that I dont know as much as Id like. Some stuff Im ok reading up on, other stuff Id like to learn hands-on. I just dont wanna take the initiative with my one and only mode of transportation, lol. Most of the (Honda) engines I know about are the older ones; F22a1/4/6, H22, H23, etc. Being as my last car was a 92 Accord, I sat behind an f22a6 for 5 years. So im all too familiar with them and the BB4 prelude. I knew of the CG, and the J-series motor, and its always been a favorite of mine, I just never looked into them really. I dont know why though. So you can imagine my level of unpreparedness when I acquired one, lol. Ive had it just about 7 months now and my "break-in" period has subsided and Im ready to maybe take it to the next level.

The only performance based mod I have is an AEM SRI, if you can call that a "performance mod" lol. Im ordering a Magnaflow exhaust in the near future but I have no idea where to begin on headers.

As far as the engine goes, I dont want to have to sacrifice anything or do anything that require any tuning. I know that sort of "defeats the whole purpose" but what Im going after are things that will get me a little fun and maybe small, noticeable gains, but that wont affect re-sale or that can be easily undone if/when I decide to move on. Being unfamiliar with the J-series, Im not sure what my options are. I know it shares alot of parts with the J32 and even the J35, I just dont know what parts from them, I can put on my J30. I imagine anintake manifold is probably the main one. What about cams or pulleys?

As for the tranny...I dont know what to do. I know "it's a good idea" but...ugh. It's just something I dont wanna tackle. I dont want any of the mods to be so heavy that I have to, ya know?

So, with all of that said, where can i start or what can I do, tastefully that wont require tearing my car apart? Lol. Reading over everything, I think I/H/E and maybe an IM swap are about my best and only choices.

Thoughts?

clutchkiickerr

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question and is coming out of left field from another universe but its because I don't know where else to ask so I wanted to know if the Type SH and Type S are the same motor. Did the JDM type S come with a Super Handling suspension?? I'm asking because I am currently researching whats the best motor 4Cylinder vtec for my 6th GEN. Sorry if i interrupted the whole convo with the g23.
I have done the swap with type s(rsx) pistons and it ran pretty well. Great amount on force at low rpm but i snapped a rod and the crank was touching, oem journal went out on me. Come to find out that I could have used the b16 main journals. As i was told . But if the motor is built right its worth every dime

DMIKE251

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is a good engine to swap into an 02 4cyl coupe that I can pull a lot of power out of? i was lookin at the TL 3.2 -S but i need some more input?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Mikey, if you have the V6 you could also look in to swapping in the CL-S cams.

DMIKE, stop being lazy, dewd. 4cyl engine swap options are posted all over this site.

Search this thread and get some answers........

DMIKE251

Reaction score
I aint lazy its just im new at the forum thing.

i want a v6 engine put in not a 4 cyl. Would the Cl s engine fit?

my car is 4 cyl stock but i dont want that.

chaby_91

Reaction score
I aint lazy its just im new at the forum thing.

i want a v6 engine put in not a 4 cyl. Would the Cl s engine fit?

my car is 4 cyl stock but i dont want that.

not only are you new to forums, you are also new to cars. If you swap for your i4 for a v6, you will need to change almost EVERYTHING. Brakes, axles, suspensions, transmission, engine, reservoirs. You might as well want to buy a new car.

If you want the best engine for your car, get a JDM type-s H22a

/question

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
This is just for sh!ts n giggles, but what kind of backing do we have with the K-series motors? Has anyone done the swap, made mounts, etc?

On a serious note, J30 spark plugs; straight-forward and easy or is there anything i should watch for/do/change while im at it?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check Dreman's build thread...although I dont think there's been an update in a few months.

jdmcg3

Reaction score
few questions with h23VTEC swap...

first will our f23 engine wire harness work? or will i have to use h22 wiring harness?

which intake manifold do i need to use.. the ob2 one right?? i will be converting to a p28 ecu so ill have the ob2 to ob1 jumper harness.. dont know if that matters or not..

also if i will be running 11.5 comp pistons how do i determine what my comprssion will be once in the motor, because i heard it changes a little once they go in..

and since ill be running high comp for a street build what stage cams will be best suited for this build.. i heard you cant run anything higher than like some pro2s with that high of compression? but at the same time i still want something really aggressive.

and since the driver side motor mount is a little different.. where do i buy a modded mount?

LIST OF MODS FOR MOTOR (case the helps for ansering questions)

h22 head
port and polished
ported oem intake manifold to match 70mm throttle body
*aftermarkets cams < still trying to figure out which is best ??(my next buy)
brand new oem valve train (valves, springs, retainers)
dc sports headers

h23a block
hot tanked
oem crank
darton sleeved cylinder walls
bored to 89mm cylinders
eagle rods
weisco 11.5:1 pistons
h22 water and oil pump (for vtec)

h series tranny (still need to buy)
lsd kit if the one that i buy doesnt already have it (still need to buy)
8.5lb fidanza flywheel
stage 4 ACT clutch

thanks for the help guys

Back