Coolant went inside throttle body- URGENT HELP

zx6r_98

Reaction score
hey i got a problem... i haave a 98 v6 accord and i opened up my throttle body and the thing underneath it (i think its the iac, but not sure) anyhow i opened that thing underneath the tb, took off all the hoses, disconnect the connectors, and clean both tb and the thing underneath it...now when i put everything back on and started my car.. when it strated it started smoking alot so i thought may b its just the left over cleaner burning , then my car starts to overheat, i open my rad and find out there isnt any coolant in there anymore so i dropped 4 litres of coolant and the car would still smoke and have a very bad idle... so i reopened my tb and found out that all the coolant went inside my tb area and the air intake and god knows where else it went it... now my question is , how did the coolant get there? im 100% sure i put on all the hoses to where they belong, could it be the thing underneath the tb didnt go on properly ? and how do i get the coolant out and where could the coolant possibly go ?

I knows its a stupid thing tht happened , but please give me some ideas/advice so i can fix her up... thanks in advance

zx6r_98

Reaction score
could it be because i didnt put a new gasket for my IACV ? coolant is alllll inside the tb and who knows where else it went in

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Well if 'all' of it is inside the TB, then the 'rest' of it probably got sucked right up into your engine. As to how it got there, I have no idea. I'm thinking what happened was you hooked up a coolant flow hose to a vacuum port on the TB, that way the coolant from coolant hose got sucked up in an area where only air was meant to be routed.

I am unsure of what can be done at this point, besides for full engine teardown, inspection, cleaning, and reassembly.

To start: try fixing the routing problem, draining all your fluids, and then refilling them again and running the car. A good idea would also be to SeaFoam your engine to get any remaining crap out.

By the way - the IACV isn't on the throttle body, nor is it in the underneath position. It is located on the IM itself and it is on the backside of it.

Last edited:

zx6r_98

Reaction score
so whats the thing called under the throttle body ? there is a gasket tht goes on which i didnt put on .... other then that i checked all hoses, they couldnt possibly go anywhere else other then where they belong cuz of size and shape they are in..

anyone got a diagram or picture of where exactly is the iacv??

may b ill take some pic of my tb and match it with another one to chk for mistakes... or possible go chck out the another v6 around the area

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Sorry, since you have the V6 the IACV is in a different position, and may well be the one you are talking about. I am used to I4 motors, so please disregard what I have said about the IACV in this case. When you do get it figured out though, use my advice to get the engine running again. Sorry I can't help you more as far as the V6 IACV.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You just effectively steam cleaned your entire combustion chamber lol. Don't worry about burning the coolant dude, I use coolant to loosen up carbon on piston crowns. Your engine is probably sparkling inside now.

As far as the coolant burning. I bet you routed your coolant line into your intake piping, check your "coolant in" hose and make sure you didn't plug that into the intake.

zx6r_98

Reaction score
im pretty sure i didnt mess up any hoses ... cause there isnt much slack in them to move around , could it be possible that i didnt hook up that thing underneath the throttle body properly ?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
and also i didnt use any gasket for it , i ordered one now and waiting for it

What the.........you didnt replace the old gasket???? :ugh:. And no, if you didnt hook up the feed and return lines correctly, it would just leak into your engine compartment, nothing could reach inside the engine.

Anytime you see an old gasket on ANYTHIHNG, DONT REUSE IT!!! EVER!!! LOL Get and brand new one :thumbsup:

inv4zn

Reaction score
Just to pipe in for future reference, on V6's the IACV is bolted under the TB like you said.

Why you thought it was ok to NOT use a gasket is beyond me...lol :crazyrun:

Back