Does Honda Accord have rivals?

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
The Accord V6 sedan with 6 speed manual that Honda only made for 2 years (06 and 07) is without a doubt the funnest car I've ever driven-- it's the ONLY Accord I've seen that rivals the Maxima manual tranny in sporty driving. (The Maxima I bought is an automatic.) It put out 244 horsepower and it LOVED having the engine revved to redline. MAN I miss that car.
Aside from that one example, I agree the Accord was never really in the Maxima class since the Maxima was only ever available with a V6. (Accord and Altima are more accurate rivals since the Altima is also available with either a 4 or 6 cyl, but unlike the Honda Nissan makes either engine available with a manual.) I just don't get what happened to Honda's ingenuity and zeal for sporty driving experience...

604ACCORD

Reaction score
I consider xci.ed6 to be one of the classiest posters on here-- that said, I strongly disagree with the sentiment that the Camry and Maxima can't hold their own against the Accord in terms of reliability-- there are plenty of those running around with well over 200,000 miles.
Especially considering the well documented UNreliability of the 6th gen Accord's automatic transmissions. The Camry and Maximas don't have those issues.

Agreed I worked for toyota for a while I seen many camrys with a ton of km on them still ticking also agree with the honda trans failure they are crap just Google it there is site after site of angry owners who did all the necessary maintenance and they still fail

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
The 6th gen trans issues we dominantly for the V6 models. (Accord, Odyssey, TL)
People with the 4banger autos rarely had a problem...
While only a few fortunate ones (like ne) have the manual
LOL

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Honda should have considered the options that enthusiasts came up with for the 6th Gen V6, which I guess they did when the 7th Gen came with manual as an option, but that was late.

Fortunately, there are still people willing and able to make the 6th Gen Accord more of a performance car, given the limitations.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
The 6th gen trans issues we dominantly for the V6 models. (Accord, Odyssey, TL)
People with the 4banger autos rarely had a problem...
While only a few fortunate ones (like ne) have the manual
LOL

Ya my 01 Odyssey trans died the Accord is on its way out and my Bros 99 Prelude died too.... LOL 5 spd is the way to go

SykVSyx

Reaction score
The 5th Gen Ludes had their share of issues anyway, with the head gasket problems.

It should have been a car that lasted long than it did, but with the Accord Coupe/CL and even Civic, it didn't really have much of a chance.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
WOW...

Never knew the H22's had head gasket problems.
When I had my accord, that's what everyone wanted in their accord

SykVSyx

Reaction score
That and the oil burning problems.

If you were willing to make the effort, the head gasket issue could be dealt with and then I think everything was fine.

it's still the preferred swap for 4cyls, and of course there are several out there making ridiculous power with new issues from their H22 swaps.

Back