DIY cold air intake, CAI (PICS & Video!)

xluben

Reaction score
ur welcome, didn't go over quite so well at honda-tech.

i think i'm gonna end up getting an ebay cheap-o soon, anyways.

PROJECT H

Reaction score
yoo there is another alternative to just resonator removal or a cheepo ebay intake...

remove ur airbox and buy a cone filter... attatch ur intake hose with ur new filter and boom! instant mickey mouse intake.

it sounds amazing.. louder and more throatier than just a resonator removal, and you get a whistling/spooling sound too.

only costed me $10 (filter from a friend) plus 15-30 min install.

xluben

Reaction score
a k&n cone filter is $40, ebay intake is only $30.

i'll buy a good filter later, and then i'll be one step better than the stock airtube + cone filter, due to the smooth, large diameter tubing.

PROJECT H

Reaction score
ic ic... jsut thought id put up another option. well for now... my ghetto intake is good enough, since i dont have a credit card or ebay account yet.

Sinful

Reaction score
if you install a shortram intake, the instructions say you don't have to remove the resonator, but what will removing it do? will it just make it louder?

xluben

Reaction score
an SRI will take in air from next to the battery (above the resonator), so it does not have to be removed.

but if you do take it out, there is a greater chance that air will be sucked up from behind the bumper and into the intake.

in theory this should offer greater performance gains, but since air isn't actually flowing through the resonator it shouldn't affect sound.

PROJECT H

Reaction score
u might as well take it out, since it wont be doin anything, its jsut dead weight. but its okk if u leave it too.

Datsrboi

Reaction score
I got a question for you guys then. I use to own a toyota (Just sold it..*Sigh*) and the eBay intake only gave our cars 1-2hp. THATS ALL while a brand name intake gives 4-5hp. Would the eBay intake be the same BS where it will only give 1-2 hp? If it does I prefere just mod my stock intake box.

xluben

Reaction score
i now have an ebay intake and i'm convinced it didn't do much over the diy version, except that it's louder.

i don't think any intakes do much for our cars.

Datsrboi

Reaction score
xluben said:
i now have an ebay intake and i'm convinced it didn't do much over the diy version, except that it's louder.

i don't think any intakes do much for our cars.

I think some aftermarket intake (especially ebay) do more harm then good. The ebay bull**** on the solara threw codes. We later found out the intake was too big and the car was getting wrong input airflow causing my car to run lean. Lean on a boosted car is bad. I went and spent 250bucks on a real brand intake and problem solved.

Back