New Member From Dayton, OH, My Build

tswmcello

Reaction score
Intro:
Hello, I'm Tyler from Dayton, OH. I'm currently studying electrical engineering at Case Western up in Cleveland, but I love working on the accord in my free time after work in the summer. I got my 98' 4 door auto accord as a junior in high school (4 years now), and have loved it since day one (although I want the 5spd). I browsed tons of DIY articles on this forum for a couple years before trying anything on my car since I was too broke to ever try anything before... However I have a good job now and enough cash for some budget upgrades and since I started Ive come pretty far (costs are just parts, I did all labor myself):

Audio:
- Replaced stock head unit with JVC KD-X50BT that has bluetooth calling/music, and a mic mounted in front of my gauges. I love this HU b/c it was cheap, sounds great (even has HPF) and looks pretty good, plus it doesn't have a CD player which I consider a waste of energy/space with the dawn of smartphones. ($125)
- Replaced all speakers from junkyard pulls, Infinity in front, Pioneer in back ($20)
- Installed 4 gauge CCA wiring from battery to distribution blocks to 8 gauge OFC for my inverter / sub amp. ($50)
- Installed 12" sealed sub/ 400W Infinity amp ($90, craigslist is a savior)

Engine/Exhaust:
- Installed SRI to replace ripped intake ($55)
- Installed full Spec-D Header/Catback Exhaust to replace leaking exhaust (only $220)
- Installed Magnaflow bolt on catalytic converter to replace buzzing/rusty af cat ($175)

Misc:
- Installed Afterglow gauges ($15)
- Fixed several lights / switches with help from forums
- Replaced cabin filters with Bosch Carbon Activated ($20)

Results:
So far I'm very happy with the results of all the upgrades, the accord is already a great car to begin with but for not much cash you can really bring it up to snuff and have some of the functionality of a more modern car, and the sportiness of more expensive cars. The radio upgrades are amazing, I have since become a dedicated audiophile.. and I bump bass daily / use the bluetooth calling frequently. The I/H/E upgrades have really opened up the car, make highway driving much more fun, and definitely added a little pep / made the car much sportier sounding. After spotting some subframe rust I don't think I'll be putting too much more money into the car, but for now I am just loving having a machine built to suite my taste, its a very rewarding experience to work on your own car. Not sure how many posts I need to post pics, but I have some great pictures of the work I'll put up eventually.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site officially. Sounds like you've been busy, glad you are enjoying the car. May as well swap the subframe and do a 5spd swap at the same time! ;)

You should be able to post photos since you joined in 2012, just use an image sharing site like Photobucket.

Back