'01 EX from Pasadena CA

Rallypoint_1

Reaction score
Hello 6 Gen!! My name is Bill and I have a '01 EX which my wife and I bought new in Sept of '00. Car has been great but now is starting with some issues. I will start a separate thread for the issues I am having. We love our Accord and we think it's worth keeping:) I also have a '90 Civic hatch that I tinker with. I would post up some pic but can't just yet. Thanks!!

Rallypoint_1

Reaction score
Ok, seems that I have a blown head gasket. Coolant gets pushed into the rad overflow and when the engine cools it doesn't get sucked back in. Also, I can see some bubbles in the overflow when running. I was hoping it wasnt the head gasket. My shop quoted me $850-$900 for the job. Seems like it's the going rate here in SoCal.

Also, since it's a A/T, the trans shifts real hard from 1st to 2nd. So, a rebuilt trans is also a possibility. My wife wants to get rid of it but I would like to fix. Can't really afford a car payment with my mortgage.

So, what does 6Gen think? Bite the bullet and fix or sell? Just wanted some opinions.
Thanks!!!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
That estimate seems high imo. If the car is 4cyl, we have a DIY for it on the master list if you want to tackle it yourself. If it's V6, things get a little more involved, but still doable. Ericthecarguy.com or his YouBewb channel may even have DIY for it.

As for the transmission, I'd spend some time searching the site...some problems have been due to something as simple/cheap as a bad solenoid, others more serious. Never hurts to drain and refill a few times and maybe try a transmission cooler. If it keeps getting worse then it's a personal call whether you want to unload the car or not.

If you are 4cyl, you could swap it to manual for which there is also a DIY guide. Either way, rebuilding is always a risk because the auto could fail again.

Last edited:

Rallypoint_1

Reaction score
It's a 4cyl. Doing the head gasket job would not be for me. It's beyond my skills and the time it would need would be impossible. It did go through my mind for a second.lol

I will try to drain and refill the trans and see if the solonoids on the front of it are ok. A trans cooler I don't think it will make much difference. Yes it does shift a tad harder when hot but it's rough when it's cool too. I just read and heard that these trannys(AT) have design issues from the get go. Swap a MT into it would be cool but wife would not like it.

Thanks for the tips RedRyder, I really appreciate it!!! Seems like I have to get this done.

Rallypoint_1

Reaction score
So, I bit the bullet and had my shop repair my accord. Head gasket was blown in two spots. Between 1,2 and 2,3 cylinders. She came out great!!! So stoked!! Here is what was performed:
Head resurfaced and pressure tested
Head gasket
Cam gear seal
Dizzy seal
VTEC solinoid gasket
Two hoses(large) and smaller rear(they were swollen)
New spark plugs
Oil and filter change

The car feels amazing. It restored a lot of lost power. It was feeling real sluggish. Anyways, I am glad it's fixed!! Thanks for listening 6GEN!!!

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
lol YouTube. That's what I call it with all the junk that's on there.

Last edited:
Back